Using Vinegar to Clean
The Benefits of Using Vinegar
Vinegar is an incredible natural cleaner! It has amazing properties and costs very little. Many people shy away from using natural cleaners because they have the misconceptions that they will not be as effective as store-bought cleaning solutions, and they think it will take a lot of time to make them. Well neither of these misconceptions are true.
I have found that natural cleaning solutions actually clean better and take very little time to put together. The best part is that they are nontoxic and will not cause health problems down the road for you or your family members.
What have you used vinegar for besides cooking?
More Ideas for Vinegar on Pinterest
Cleaning with Vinegar
Using Vinegar By Itself
According to Care 2 Make a Difference, "Heinz company spokesperson Michael Mullen references numerous studies to show that a straight 5 percent solution of vinegar—the kind you can buy in the supermarket—kills 99 percent of bacteria, 82 percent of mold, and 80 percent of germs (viruses)."
Using vinegar by itself to clean is completely safe and effective. I keep a spray bottle of white distilled vinegar under my sink. It is used to:
- wipe down countertops and insides and outsides of cabinets
- scrub the sink
- clean the stovetop and all appliance surfaces
- wipe down the inside of the refrigerator, stove and microwave
- clean windows and mirrors, leaving them streak-free
- substitute for a spot-remover in the diswasher - no more expensive and unnecessary rinses!
- remove mineral deposits from coffee makers and vaporizers
- clean mini-blinds
- keep ants and other bugs away by spraying around doors and windows
I like the smell of vinegar, however, if you find it bothersome, dilute it with some water, add lemon juice or essential oils.
- Healthy Natural Green House Cleaning Solutions
Did you know there are harsh and toxic chemicals in the house-cleaning products we use every day? Try these easy, inexpensive homemade cleaning solutions for green cleaning. You'll never want to go back!
- How to Clean Mold and Mildew
Got mold? Try these natural and effective remedies for cleaning mold and mildew from the surfaces of your home.
- Using Vinegar to Kill Weeds
Vinegar is amazing! I just used it to kill huge ugly weeds in my front yard. I can't believe it really worked. I also sprayed it on a small patch of poison ivy and some of the leaves have turned.
Vinegar and Baking Soda
Spray and sprinkle! That is what you should do when combining vinegar and baking soda to create an abrasive cleaner. I have used this combination effectively in so many ways, often causing me to be amazed by its success. Here are the ways I have used vinegar and baking soda:
- clean dirt and stains from the wood deck
- clean dirt and residue from the plastic railing around the deck
- remove dirt from outdoor furniture
- remove smudges from molding and trim throughout the house
- clean doors inside and out
- clean lanoleum floors
- scrub the toilet
- wip down all bathroom cabinets and sinks
- clean stubborn grout stains away
- rid the shower and bath of mildew and soap-scum buildup