Lovely Pillow Choices For Your Home
Whimsical Pillows And Home Decor
Fabulous Cushions And Unusual Decor
There are so many choices out there for soft home furnishings, so create your own idea first, before embarking on a spending spree.
French Style Pillows
Soft Colours That Soothe The Eye.
- These tree and foliage cushions are in a very restful and calming colour scheme.
- The butterfly cushion on the other hand has a few brighter colours to lift the mood.
- Cushions can be matched with other one's that have the similar colours but of course different patterns. For instance, the butterfly pillow could be matched with a light peach striped cushion.
- When you have chosen your pillows your eye should sweep over your decor with no colour being to jarring. If you are wanting a calm atmosphere, that is.
Soothing Tones In Beige For Tranquil Decor.
Soft Colours Of The Savanna
Love these muted colours inspired by nature in the curtains and soft furnishings. When you have a neutral palette in your main decor you are able to interchange your cushions every so often with minimal cost!
Colour Of Africa In Your Cushions And Home Decor
Lovely Sea Green And Mint For Your Colour Choice
- ♥ The grey and charcoal give the scheme depth.
- The trend these day's seems to be the more muted colour schemes with a clever mix, of other hues and tones.
- At some stage one can add some white or other colour in cushions and throws, to brighten and rejuvenate an old look, that you have become a little tired of.
- If you look down the wall art, you will see a fine line of lemon yellow. This could be a colour that you could consider introducing, in small amounts.
- Bright colours are also fun in lounge suites for trendsetters.
Cool Bedroom Ambience With Accessories / My Polyvore Set
Update A Retro Style Chair With Graphic Art Pillows.
Great Fabrics For All Your Sewing Needs!
- Shop Amazon.com | Fabric
Looking for Fabric? Amazon.com has a wide selection at great prices to help you get creative.
Soft Colours For A Peaceful Ambience / Curtains Add To The Appeal
- Create a quiet peaceful atmosphere with these lovely muted colours.
- Blue and greys create a laid back calm palette for your living room or bedroom.
- An ideal palette for those in warm climates to keep a cool atmosphere.
- Blues and greys are reminiscent of waves, summer and sky.
- Bring in your colour scheme into your floor rugs, art work and throws.
- The wrong choice in cushions and curtains can make or break a room...especially the colours.
Soft Soothing Home Interior Palette
Sea Green Cushion For Your Beach House Or Bungalow
Home Decor - Beautiful Cushions For Your Home
Bold Abstract Cushion
Pointers To Consider In Your Choices
1. If you have the time and inclination you can save money by making them yourself. However if you are daunted by the prospect of sewing meters and meters of fabric, you will be better off purchasing them, ready made.
2. If you are on a tight budget you may want to purchase some good quality secondhand ones. A friend of mine bought some beautiful silk floor length curtains that would have cost the earth if she had bought them, brand new.
3. Some curtain and linen stores have good sales to move stock before the next season. Amazing what you can find if you time it right!
4. When searching for cushions, take a swatch of color that was in your mind and in your color scheme range. Incredible how many shades of one color there are. Sad to get back home only to find that the shade of cushion just does not look quite right.
5. Your curtaining should be neutral so that you can create a harmonious look by adding color in your lamps , pictures and cushions. Together there is a peaceful ambiance instead of a garish muddle of the color palette.
Build up your room like you would a painting. In nature there is a balance..not too much sky or mountains but foliage in trees and little splashes of iridescent flowers to finish off the work of art!
image credit - my own art work
Cerise Floral Pillow
Fun Vibrant Trendy Interiors / Modern Lounge Furniture
Cotton Is Cool
- Cotton Is Cool to the touch, especially in hot climates. Scratchy fabrics can be very irritating to the skin.
- Some people are even allergic to synthetic fibres.
- Cotton fabrics are easy to wash and do not need to be dry cleaned.
- Love batik design in cotton fabric for pillows. Great for a beach bungalow.
Mixing And Matching Your Colours And DesignsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Make The Right Choices
♥♥ choose cushions that you will be able to use for a couple of years by interchanging them with others, that complement them in design and colour.
♥ Making hurried choices can cost you dearly in money, waste of time and fabric. Fabrics you find in cushions and curtains are of better quality and therefore are in a higher price bracket compared to your cheap dress fabrics.
♥ Handmade cushions can be bought at craft fairs. They are often unique and not mass produced.
♥ If you have printing skills, you can silk screen your own cotton or silk pillows, for an original look.
Ambience Created In The Living Room / Calm Interior
Love To Find CushionsThat Mix And Match
Love To Find Cushions That Mix And Match with the other soft furnishings and interior decor.
- A room is like a painting ..all the colours and varying textures make up your final landscape or portrait.
- Good quality fabrics will stand you in good stead, for years to come. Check that your cushions and pillows have zips and are able to easily removed and washed, from time to time.
Red Paris Themed Pillow
Try not to let your cushions and curtains become dated by succumbing to the latest fad in colour schemes. Classical items will last through many seasons, although they might be a little more expensive.
Try Mixing Various Patterns Together
As you can see below, there are a mixture of various textures and patterned fabrics that can be added, to make your room look more interesting and easy on the eye.
Fabric Colours For CushionsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Updating Our Family Room
- Recently I decided to change the look of our family room. Here are some of the changes I made - you can see them in my main photo.
- I bought some beautiful dark blue cushions and a tablecloth to match. The colour always reminds me of tropical islands and far away places. I have also done a little bit of batik work in the past so this fabric reminded me of that Javanese look.
- Our lounge suite is a dull khaki colour and the bright cushions really give it a lift. Also replaced our lamp. These changes did not cost us an arm and a leg and saved us some cash.
- My fruit bowl in the middle of the table has lovely yellow and orange fruit in it that adds to that tropical look. I also love the yellow of the lemons and bananas against the blue cloth.
- Anyway, this little project of the old and new was very satisfying.
Have fun updating your space on a shoestring!
Colours That Are Co ordinated
Mix And Match Fabrics Together For Home Furnishings
- You can give your room an interesting feel if you mix different patterns and textures together.
- As long as the colours enhance each other and do not detract from your overall theme.
- Soft muted colours work well well together in curtaining and pillow fabrics
The Correct Fabrics For Your Sofa Cushions
Choosing Cushions Can Be Fun
Do You Shop For Your Own Cushions?
Scatter Cushion Ideas
These are some ideas to update or make scatter cushions for gifts or to use at home.
⦁ Use a white cotton pillow slip that is not too old and dip into two different dyes . One on the one side and the other dye color on the far side of the pillow case. Use two colors that will blend like pink and purple. Where the dyes overlap each other they will make a combined third color. Remember to iron the fabric when it's dry with a fairly hot iron. 100% cotton works the best. Nice stripe effect for a holiday home.
⦁ Take an old pullover and create a cute knitted cushion. Sew across top and sleeve section to create a square. Sew on some loops and rustic buttons on the back for fastening.
⦁ A pillow case for a bed can be cut in half to make two holiday cushion covers. You can also divide an old inner bed pillow in half for the inside of the cushions. To give the pillow a new twist you can do some fancy chain stitch in chunky thick embroidery cotton to accentuate the pattern.
⦁ Find some beautiful fabrics at second hand shops and turn into a cushion. A lovely thick long Asian silky scarf can be turned into exotic cushion covers for a bedroom or cozy nook.
⦁ Tea towels in a stripe can make a lovely boathouse themed cushion cover. Trim with a bright yellow or red piping to give a holiday appeal.
Sure that you have some ideas of your own up your sleeve that you can turn into a work of art. Hope you have fun!
Singer Sewing Machine
- Amazon.com: SINGER 7258 Stylist Award-Winning 100-Stitch Computerized Sewing Machine with DVD, 10 Pr
Shop Singer at the Amazon Arts, Crafts & Sewing store. Free Shipping on eligible items. Save on everyday low prices.