Why Choose Granite Worktops for Your Kitchen?
If you’re looking for a natural material to use for your new kitchen worktops, why not consider granite? This is an igneous rock, the product of volcanic activity, and is available in a wide range of colours for use around the home.
This range of colours, combined with the number of specialist finishes available, makes it one of the most popular choices for those looking to replace old laminate worktops with something a bit more durable and luxurious. If you find a good specialist supplier of natural stone they should be able to advise you on what will work best in your kitchen.
Here is why we think you should use this material:
- Durability: Granite is one of the strongest worktop materials you can choose. It is perfect for kitchens as it is resistant to stains, water damage and heat (so you can place hot saucepans on it, unlike with wooden or laminate worktops). Worktops made from this material are also extremely difficult to break or scratch so they will still look good even after years of use. Granite worktops can last decades without needing to be replaced.
- Maintenance: Not only to they last a long time – granite worktops are also very easy to care for and keep clean. For one thing, they come in large single slabs so you won’t find yourself trying to clean out dirt or grime from between cracks. It can be cleaned very easily with warm water, detergent and a cloth so there is no need to go out and buy an endless supply of expensive cleaning products. All it will require to keep it looking pristine is a simpler sealer to be applied about once a year. It’s also worth considering that bacterial contamination is not an issue with granite so it’s a very sanitary material – a real plus for a surface on which food will be prepared.
- Cost Saving: Given that they cost more than other kinds of worktops such as wood or laminate it may be hard to believe at first that granite worktops can actually save you money in the long term – but they can! For one thing, you won’t need to spend money on replacing them as they should last for years and years, and the maintenance is cheap as discussed above.
- Adding Value: In fact, not only will granite kitchen worktops save you money in the long run, they will actually add value to your house. Don’t forget that granite is a premium material so it’s a good selling point to have it in your kitchen when it comes to viewings. It has an extremely elegant appearance and will not depreciate in value so no matter whether you sell your house soon after installing it or 10 years down the line, it will still be a strong asset.
- Variety of Choice: When you choose this material you are not limited when it comes to colour so you should be able to match your worktop to any colour scheme. This may come as a surprise to many who think of granite as simply a grey stone with a few flecks of colour, but in fact it can come in creams, pinks, blues or blacks as well as many shades of grey. This is before you even consider the range of finishes you can choose from, whether you go for high gloss or a sophisticated matte. Granite is a beautiful material and you can also be sure that if you choose it you are getting something unique as no two pieces are ever exactly the same.
- Eco Friendly: Because granite is an entirely natural material it is far better to use this, from an environmental perspective, than man-made substances that will use energy to produce. And when, in many years, it does come to be replaced it will not be placing any additional strain on the environment.
If you’ve decided on granite for your countertops then do make sure you find a good kitchen supplier in your area who is used to working with natural materials, knows how to install it properly and can advise you on the best colour and style to suit your home. Remember that granite is very heavy and can be awkward to install, so you want to make sure it’s done properly the first time.