- Home Improvement
Why Invest in Double Glazing - What Are The Benefits?
It's Time to Go Green
Local authorities up and down the country are encouraging homeowners in their area to update their windows. Some have even gone a step further, and is also promoting other energy efficiency tweaks, such as loft insulation, energy efficient appliances, and recycling.
Why Double Glazing?
Of course, there’s more to double glazing than just stopping heat escaping from your windows. Big cities are busy places – and that means that they can get noisy at times. Double glazing is great for reducing noise pollution! There are other benefits to double glazing too, including:
- Improved security: Double glazing isn’t completely unbreakable, but it is an awful lot tougher than a single pane of glass. Insurance companies love double glazing, because it’s a nice deterrent to opportunistic thieves.
- Lower heating bills: Double glazing is a great insulator. It stops heat getting out, and more modern double glazing installations also work nicely for reducing the amount of heat getting in – so you’re warm in the winter, and not melting in a greenhouse in the summer!
- Less noise: This one was touched on, but it’s something that you have to experience to believe. If you’ve never lived in a double glazed house, you’ll really be surprised when you hear how much quieter the place gets when the windows are shut.
- Increased property value: If you’re thinking of selling your home, you should definitely consider double glazing. For many buyers, a lack of it is a deal breaker. Double glazing can add a lot to the selling price of your home.
- Nicer frames: If you haven’t updated your windows since the house was built, you probably have plain wooden frames. Modern frames are easier to clean and care for, and look a lot nicer.
Getting a Good Deal on Double Glazing
If you’re on a low income, and aren’t sure if you can afford to get double glazing, don’t despair. There are lots of companies that are offering assistance, and in some cases discounts, to help low income families upgrade their windows. Your local authority will be able to put you in touch with some of those companies.
Be sure to do a lot of research before you hand over any money to a company to get your double glazing fitted, and think about things to ask before you hire a double glazing installation company. Ask around for word of mouth recommendations, and don’t just choose the cheapest company that you can find to fit windows in your area. Double glazing is an investment, and something that you’ll want to last for many years. Badly fitted double glazing could be completely ineffective at best – or dangerous and insecure at worst.
Whether you believe in the threat of global warming or not, it’s hard to dispute the issue of rising energy bills and diminishing resources. Anything you can do to reduce the amount of energy that you consume is a good thing, and the other side benefits of double glazing make it an obvious choice as an upgrade for any home owner.