Your First Faery Garden
Faery Gardens: The Basics
Faery Garden: The Basics
Faeries know the hidden virtues of herbs, plants, stones and the four elements. They are the keys to unlocking the meaning of all living Beings. Faeries are the keepers of the secrets found within all life forms, contained in minerals, rocks, running water and earth. When venturing into the haunts of Faeries, it has long been the custom to carry cowslips, primroses, St. John’s Wort, apple wands, or forget-me-nots. These plants act as protection against Faery glamoury and ensure the bearer makes a safe return home.
Plants both attract and repel the Small Folk. Faeries can be enticed into a garden or driven away, by the presence of certain plants. This and consequent articles will provide a guide to creating a Faery Garden. It cannot guarantee Faeries will come - no one can. It provides suggestions, only.
- Locate the actual place you want to plant the garden. Walk around the area. Feel the energy around you. Reach deep into yourself and send out your hopes for this place. Voice your intention, as well. Let the land know what you wish for it.
- Sit down and consider what type of Fairies you wish to cultivate along with your garden. This will influence your choice of garden elements as well as other accessories.
- Consult reference books as well as online sites for information on Fairies and Faery Plants.
- Pay careful attention to such elements as colour of the plants.
- Do you want to incorporate sound such as a pond, bells, or fountain?
- what about scent as an attraction?
- Texture also enters into gardening. Try to find a balance between rough and smooth, stone vs wood, etc.
- Accessories such as Garden statues need to be looked at. Do you want Garden gnomes, classical statuary or modern sculpture?
When you are certain you know what you want, sketch out a rough plan. Check books and online sites for garden plants that will work for you.
These are simple matters. Nevertheless, they can be effective. These actions will set loose upon the aether a call to the Fey. It is a starting point. The rest is hard work and depends upon the Faeries.