What Are the Benefits of Hiring An Interior Designer?
When people think about hiring an interior designer, their first thought centres around how expensive it may turn out to be. What many do not realise is that it does turn out cheaper hiring one than going it all alone.
People who seek interior design advice have many reasons for doing so but the most important reason is that they know the importance of hiring professionals. They appreciate a professional approach to things and designing, renovating, or upgrading their homes is no exception.
But how do you know if or when you need interior design advice? Well, it depends.
For instance, let's say you need to change your living room curtains to bamboo blinds or you wish to replace your traditional dining room furniture to something more modern. For these kinds of tasks, you can either do-it-yourself (DIY) if you are a bit creative and have an eye for good things, or, you can hire an interior decorator for a couple of hours consultation. However, for more complicated tasks like a total kitchen upgrade or interior space planning and design, you'll require the input of a professional interior designer.
With more complex interior design projects, it doesn’t matter how good or creative you may be, the advice offered by an interior designer is more professional, quite technical, and highly detailed. The role of a designer involves much more than creating an aesthetically pleasing interior space. He or she must take into consideration space functionality, efficiency, its workability, and adaptability.
What is the Role of an Interior Designer?
Interior design plays a vital role in our everyday lives and is an important technique that is given a high consideration in most regions of today’s world. Diverse clients seek professional advice from interior designers to help them not only create great interiors, but to also solve problems that may occur while constructing, renovating, or restoring buildings. An interior designer’s role includes handling all the intricate details of design from conceptualization to implementation skillfully and professionally.
From seeking simple advice on how to solve storage problems to more complex inquiries like how to restore a Georgian style interior, proper interior design advice will help you bring your dream space to reality.
Advantages of Seeking Interior Design Advice
Interior designers have the educational background and technical skills that are required to implement interior design projects. They understand the language of functionality coupled with artistic appeal and at the same time, know how to keep a sharp focus on issues that may occur as a project progresses. But there are also other advantages to hiring a designer.
- Interior designers will help you put together a team of service providers that will ensure your project is on schedule and implemented successfully through managing and supervising all works from inception to successful completion.
- Working with an interior designer will be worth every cent or penny you spend because the results you get will not only be stylish and pleasing, it will also be more durable and longer-lasting.
- Professional interior designers went to college or technical institutions to study interior design, so they are very knowledgeable about interior design matters. They have been trained on the savvies and skills on what to do to transform your home, office, or commercial venture.
- Because interior designers are very passionate about their work and love what they do, they are bound to always give their best in every project they handle.
- By the virtue of their training, they understand the idea a prospective client has in mind and can picture what you wish your interior space to look like. It will probably end up exceeding your expectations.
- If you are an environmentalist, they understand your 'language'. From energy savings to eco-friendly materials, an interior designer will help you choose the right materials for floor, wall, and ceiling finishes including energy-saving appliances, lighting features, window treatments, and furnishings.
- A designer will save you time and money. If you are a busy individual who wants a professional job done, like designing or redecorating your new home, it is best to use an interior designer who will source for, choose, supply and install the items you’ll require. Designers know what is best to use, where to get them, and how to get the best deal.
- There is no way you can be more detail-oriented than an interior designer who creates a concept and manages every little detail of the design. And because they know that function precedes style, most professional designers will likely suggest features and items you’ll never have thought of, nor have the knowledge to envision.
- Colour and texture are essential aspects of interior design and interior designers have a canny ability to use the most effective colour and texture combinations that will make your interior space look unique and stylish. They can even develop combinations you’ll never imagine can work well together.
- Because they possess technical skills, interior designer work with measurements, and to scale. They know the right scale and furniture sizes appropriate for any size or volume of a room. You don't have to worry about the right fits for your interior space or whether to buy a particular piece of furniture or not.
- Accessorising and decorating give an interior space a 'soul' and a professional will be able to get you the right décor items, accents, and accessories that are important to give your space pizzazz. If need be, the designer can customize something unique, just for you.
- One great benefit of employing the services of an interior designer is that your home will have greater monetary value if or when you decide to put it up for sale in the future.
Useful Tips: Before You Hire a Designer
- Seek interior design advice early to avoid the costly mistakes that many DIY enthusiasts encounter.
- Seek a professional who can consult, plan space, design a concept, draw up a budget, and prepare work schedules.
- It is best to hire interior designers who can work with design software programs and provide you with 2D and 3D drawing presentations.
- For commercial projects, hire a designer that can advise on space planning and allocation for every member of staff, including planning for every function associated with running the organisation.
- If you plan to build a new home from scratch, you should hire an interior designer that will work closely with the architect.
- If your project is in a specific niche, employ the services of a designer that is a specialist in a particular niche.
How to Know the Right Interior Designer to Seek Advice From
There are now design bodies and associations that have established standards and credentials approved for the interior design profession. They are set up to test career interior designers for proficiency, aptitude, and professionalism, before being admitted into their associations. To become a member, you will need to pass some examinations.
Being a member of any of these associations doesn't necessarily help to evaluate the ability and skill of any interior designer; neither can it be a judge of the scope of their abilities and their technical skills. Some designers will not take the examinations until they have had several years of experience in the interior design profession. But how do you know what to look out for?
The best way to know who is best to hire is:
- Look at the range of services they have previously provided.
- Assess their previously executed jobs.
- Ask for referrals from experts in the building industry. Find out about their working experience with the referred interior designer.
- Ask to see design portfolios that include previously executed jobs.
- Choose a designer that you feel you’ll be comfortable working with.
Whichever way you decide to approach it, just ensure you ask a lot of questions and receive satisfactory answers. By following these guidelines, you will pretty much guess if he or she can offer you an optimal service and give you good interior design advice.
Employing the services of an interior designer is not necessarily a luxury. It’s more of a wise decision which can save you money in the long run.
Further Reading on Interior Design:
Do You Think You May Need Interior Design Advice?
Know the Right Interior Designer to Seek Advice From
There are now design bodies and associations that have established standards and credentials approved for the interior design profession. They are set up to test career interior designers for proficiency, aptitude, and professionality, before being admitted into their associations. To become a member of the fold, you will need to pass some examinations.
But being a member of any of these associations don’t necessarily help evaluate the ability and skill of any interior designer and neither can it be a judge of the scope of their skills and abilities. Some designers will not take the examinations until they have had several years of experience in the profession.
The best way to know who is best to hire is to first look at the range of services they have provided, then, assess their previously executed jobs, and then if you can ask their past clients about their experience with the interior designer. By following these tips, you will pretty much guess if he/she can offer you an optimal service and good interior design advice.
© 2010 viryabo