How do I determine what is causing my Kirkland washer to not drain or spin?

I have a 2002/03 Kirkland top loader. I ran the washer with a full load. The next day I went to put the clothes in the dryer and the tub was still half filled with water at the rinse cycle. Thinking some one had stopped the cycle I reset it at the beginning of the rinse cycle and added more softener to the center container. The washer filled up but would not continue. I tried changing cycles, but nothing happened except a slight humming sound (as if the machine was trying to start) and then a click (like a safety shut off). After wringing out clothes and bailing water, I'm thinking I could fix

SteveoMc profile image74

SteveoMc says

mcrawford76 profile image85

Matthew I Crawford (mcrawford76) says

Donna136 says