Daughter Of Maat profile image 97

Why does my A/C smell like the heat is on?

I checked, it's not, but it smells like the heat is on, it doesn't seem to be blowing much air and it's definitely not cold, just cool. It's ancient, like 20 years old I think. My A/C appears below

Cre8tor profile image96

Best Answer Daniel Robbins (Cre8tor) says

• Daughter Of Maat profile image

Melissa Flagg (Daughter Of Maat) 4 years ago

I think you're correct on the locked rotor? I went out back, and do you see the blades of the fan on the top of the unit? They aren't moving! That heat smell was something burning I think. I'm assuming that fan pulls air in?

Civil War Bob profile image62

Civil War Bob says

• Daughter Of Maat profile image

I was afraid of that. Thankfully, we rent the house, so the landlord is coming over to take a look at it. Unfortunately, he's Mr. Fix-it, and tends to botch all of his repair attempts. If it's the compressor, hopefully he'll have to call an HVAC guy.

weekend profile image60

weekend says

• Daughter Of Maat profile image

Actually no it wasn't broken. The fan needed to be replaced.

airtrackinc profile image60

Air Track Inc (airtrackinc) says

EinderDarkwolf profile image60

Sean Bradbury (EinderDarkwolf) says

• Daughter Of Maat profile image

Thank you Einder! I think that may be an issue as wel, it looks like there's a leak in the back of the unit. So I think you're both right.

Diane Woodson profile image60

Diane Minton (Diane Woodson) says

• Cre8tor profile image

Daniel Robbins (Cre8tor) 4 years ago

No doubt the compressor is important but if it's hermetic, there's nothing to do but replace it. However, if the fan is not spinning, then either the fan is shot or the capacitor is bad 99.9% of the time. NOTE: These are just ideas.