Availiasvision profile image 85

Why are coffee grounds good for your garden?

I was at a coffee shop and they have a sign that offered free coffee grounds for the garden. Why do coffee grounds make good compost?

jpcmc profile image91

JP Carlos (jpcmc) says

• tmbridgeland profile image

tmbridgeland 5 years ago

Plus, they add organic matter that helps hold nutrients and water. Blended in to the soil they improve the texture. You can make a decent potting soil with coffe grounds and soil mixed.

Availiasvision profile image85

Jennifer Arnett (Availiasvision) says

aishah7 says

• jpcmc profile image

JP Carlos (jpcmc) 5 years ago

You may want to throw in banana peels (shredded of course) into the mix. They're high in potassium, another essential nutrient plants need. I usually make a compost with coffee, banana peels and use it for my plants.