Daughter Of Maat profile image 98

How do you get a nasty odor out of a plastic rubbermaid food storage container?

I just found a container that had been in my fridge for (apparently) quite some time (I was wondering where it was). After emptying it, letting it soak in hot, soapy water and washing it several times, it still stinks. Is there a way to get rid of the foul odor?

Barbara Kay profile image87

Best Answer Barbara Badder (Barbara Kay) says

• Daughter Of Maat profile image

Melissa Flagg OSC (Daughter Of Maat) 5 years ago

This one worked!! My container smells fresh and clean!

jonnycomelately profile image86

Alan (jonnycomelately) says

• jonnycomelately profile image

Alan (jonnycomelately) 5 years ago

EM, i.e. Effective Micro-organisms might do the trick. Google this to find out more about it.

Lactic acid bacteria might help. Fill the container with milk and allow it to go sour and moldy over a week or two.

• Daughter Of Maat profile image

Oh brilliant, I didn't think of contacting Rubbermaid lol. I'l try jonny's idea (since it's free) and check their website at the same time. Thank you!!!

Cristale profile image85

Cristale says

nmdonders profile image86

nmdonders says

• Daughter Of Maat profile image

Should I soak it in lemon juice? lol it's really bad... or would washing it suffice you think?

MickS profile image74

MickS says

• Daughter Of Maat profile image

This worked well actually, it got out most of the nasty ordor, but it still left a bit, so I'm trying lemon juice next... :D