Ben Zoltak profile image 84

Home made indoor garden soil...how do you make it?

I've heard it's not a good idea to take soil from outside and bring it in the house, but most of the indoor soil in my area comes with petroleum made fertilizers, I would like to make my own organic, with our kitchen compost and soil from outside, maybe with some fireplace ash too...but I don't want to bring in any of the outdoor pests. Does anyone know how to do this? Should I wait until it's drops below freezing then try to stir up a mix?

Barbara Kay profile image91

Barbara Badder (Barbara Kay) says

• Patty Inglish, MS profile image

Patty Inglish (Patty Inglish, MS) 5 years ago

I heard the same thing - bake at 200 degrees F for an hour. You can check with a garden center and see if they know if that mtie is correct. Sounds short.

The Dirt Farmer profile image99

Jill Spencer (The Dirt Farmer) says

Dr. Haddox profile image79

Dr Freddie Haddox (Dr. Haddox) says

• Ben Zoltak profile image

Ben Zoltak 5 years ago

Interesting. I've thought about just bringing in soil, one time years ago, I did that and somehow brought in some of those spider mite things and they killed a bunch of my plants. Still, I like the idea of baking it in the sun, covered or uncovered?