MarleneB profile image 95

Do plants have feelings?

I was watching a gardening channel and they showed a plant that curled up its leaves when it was touched. That made me wonder whether or not plants have feelings. I know, it's a silly question. But, if plants react to touch, could it be possible that they have feelings, enjoy certain music, grow better when we talk to them? I just want to know what you think.

Express10 profile image88

H C Palting (Express10) says

• MarleneB profile image

Marlene Bertrand (MarleneB) 4 years ago

Oh yes. On the show that I watched, the botanist said that the leaves curled so that herbivores would not eat them.

heidithorne profile image91

Heidi Thorne (heidithorne) says

• MarleneB profile image

Marlene Bertrand (MarleneB) 4 years ago

Yes, and the thing about houseplants is that they are so full of drama - turning all sorts of colors just to get their way. I have one plant whose leaves are threatening to turn brown all because I forgot to water it in time. ;)

connorj profile image80

John Connor (connorj) says

• MarleneB profile image

Marlene Bertrand (MarleneB) 4 years ago

Lettuce be! This video offers a whole new take on the concept of vegetables and feelings. I ponder, does carrot juice constitute murder? Cute video. Thanks.

howtobeasuccess profile image80

How to be a Success (howtobeasuccess) says

• MarleneB profile image

Marlene Bertrand (MarleneB) 4 years ago

Instinct is a good word. In fact, I heard that the leaves curled up so that herbivores would think they were dead and would not eat them. It was a response to being touched.

• MarleneB profile image

Marlene Bertrand (MarleneB) 4 years ago

I have heard this to be true about classical music. I think I'd like to try playing classical music to grow prettier plants.

rameschgf says

• MarleneB profile image

Marlene Bertrand (MarleneB) 4 years ago

...but not "feeling(s)". I get it! Thank you very much for your response to this question.

• Laurinzo Scott profile image

Live To Write (Laurinzo Scott) 4 years ago

I think that everthing alive... or that even was once alive has some sort of tie-in to the Universe and God ...just like animals...if it lives...it feels; however we have to priortize and know where plants and animals are on the scale of importance