MarleneB profile image 95

What is this plant growing among my strawberries?

In the process of pulling weeds from my strawberry garden, I discovered strange plants intermingled among the strawberry plants. When I pulled on the strangers, they came up easily, roots and all. I noticed that the leaves looked similar to the strawberry leaves, but not quite the same. When I pinched the leaves, they smelled similar to mint, but not quite (they had a chocolaty-mint scent). Help! Are they toxic, safe? What are they?

bac2basics profile image90

Anne (bac2basics) says

• MarleneB profile image

Marlene Bertrand (MarleneB) 3 years ago

Thank you bac2basics. I'll take a piece of the plant with me on my next trip to the nursery. And, yes, that plant is growing quickly and I'm seeing it everywhere now.

Faith Reaper profile image89

Faith Reaper says

• MarleneB profile image

Marlene Bertrand (MarleneB) 3 years ago

Well, Faith, you have given me a lot to think about. While I knew about the chocolate mint because I had seen it at Home Depot and Lowes, I didn't know about the strawberry mint and other plants that you mentioned. Thanks so much for your answer.

snakeslane profile image81

Verlie Burroughs (snakeslane) says

• MarleneB profile image

Marlene Bertrand (MarleneB) 3 years ago

If the leaf didn't smell like chocolate, I would have guessed mint, but that chocolate scent confused me. And, now that I look around, I see it all over the strawberry garden.

cat on a soapbox profile image86

Catherine Tally (cat on a soapbox) says

• MarleneB profile image

Marlene Bertrand (MarleneB) 3 years ago

cat on a soapbox, thank you for your answer. I just went out again today and new plants have sprouted up. I don't know where they came from and I can't seem to get rid of them.

• MarleneB profile image

Marlene Bertrand (MarleneB) 3 years ago

It does look like a strawberry leaf with a little bit of a twist. It's kind of like a cross between strawberries and mint. It's all over the place where the strawberries are growing.