The Dirt Farmer profile image 95

Any suggestions for keeping squirrels away from tomato plants?

The night before last, squirrels denuded most of our tomato plants, and it's NOT because the little buggers are thirsty. It's been raining for days! My husband says the only way to get them to stop is to feed them so much they don't have room in their tummies for our tomatoes, but I'm MAD. Does anyone have any other suggestions--barring bloodshed?

sallybea profile image97

Sally Gulbrandsen (sallybea) says

• The Dirt Farmer profile image

Jill Spencer (The Dirt Farmer) 3 years ago

I did not know that about the peanuts! I'll try it along with the cayenne. I'm heading out to the garden now. Thanks for the advice, sallybea! I'm hoping, since the weather's cooled down, that we'll get more blooms & a chance for more toms!

cat on a soapbox profile image83

Catherine Tally (cat on a soapbox) says

• The Dirt Farmer profile image

Well, the cayenne pepper & chili powder did not work yesterday. This morning I found that they had removed several more small green tomatoes. ): I'll have to grab some hot sauce today and try it. Thanks for the nylon stocking suggestion!

erinshelby profile image80

erinshelby says

• The Dirt Farmer profile image

Earlier, I wrapped aluminum foil around the bottoms of the tomato cages, as someone told me this would deter them. I wonder if I could spray the foil with PAM and sprinkle on cayenne pepper? Worth a try! Thanks for the suggestion.

Lady Guinevere profile image61

Debra Allen (Lady Guinevere) says

• The Dirt Farmer profile image

Hey, that sounds like a good idea. I think I've seen those in other gardens. Thanks for the tip!