Candle Reviews profile image 70

How or why does the wax of a candle catch on fire?


I had a very scary experience a few days ago. The two wick candle I was burning literally caught fire. All the wax int he candle was on fire, and huge leaping flames were coming out of the top. My house could have burned down. I was pretty upset. We had to put it out with a fire extinguisher, and I just got done spending over an hour cleaning up the charred shards of glass and wax everywhere in my bathroom. It was awful, and almost makes me nervous to trust candles. I did nothing wrong, and in fact trimmed the wicks down to almost nothing before lighting. Very scary and unsettling.

 

sort by best latest

eugbug profile image99

Eugene Brennan (eugbug) says

You can help the HubPages community highlight top quality content by ranking this answer up or down.

2 years ago
 |  Comment
  • Candle Reviews profile image

    Candle Reviews 2 years ago

    Thanks so much Eugene, as it helps me to understand more what could have happened. Between yours and Joshua's answer, this helps paint a good picture of the why it might have happened. The science behind it is good to know. Thanks again.

profile image0

Joshtheplumber says

You can help the HubPages community highlight top quality content by ranking this answer up or down.

2 years ago
 |  Comment
  • Candle Reviews profile image

    Candle Reviews 2 years ago

    I think you might be right Joshua. It was pretty scary and its of concern because others might not burn candles as safely as I try to do. Some burn them and fall asleep or near curtains or on a bookshelf, etc. Thanks so much the info and answer.