I have a James Dixon and son tea set. .

I have a James Dixon and son tea set. The teapot itself has the markings on the side of the tea pot near the top )JD&S, a crown, lion with one paw up and the letter I. All the other pieces have 4617 3 on the bottom. What do I have?

cat on a soapbox profile image97

Catherine Tally (cat on a soapbox) says

• cat on a soapbox profile image

Catherine Tally (cat on a soapbox) 13 months ago

Not sure why there are no other hallmarks. The 3 could be a mark for the factory, the silversmith, or variations in the 4617 pattern series. Yours has more intricate work while others in this pattern are plain with just fluting.

PamelaBShields says

• cat on a soapbox profile image

They are beautiful! The lion w/ its paw raised shows that the silver meets the English standard. The crown is a regional hallmark which shows this is Sheffield silver. The i mark specifically indicates the date of manufacture and indicates 1901-1902.