I have a volunteer red maple tree that is now 3 years old. It took off like a rocket this year...

and is now over 6' tall. It has only 2 branches near the bottom of the trunk, is very skinny and top heavy. It is staked to prevent the top from breaking in the OK wind. What can I do to get it to produce more branches? Should I top it to prevent it from breaking? I has a lot of large leaves but is not branching out. My neighbor suggested that I prune the opposite leaf to get a branch to grow. It has tried so hard to keep growing and I do not want to damage it.

MickS profile image74

MickS says

MickS profile image74

MickS says

tj in OKC says