Best Low Voc Paints
Find the Best Low VOC Indoor Paints for Your Home or Business!
Mmm, that fresh paint smell. It signifies a fresh start and a brand new fresh color coating of paint on our home's walls. Ok, actually that strong smell is actually VOC, or volatile organic compounds, that can cause more than just a slight irritation, but dizziness, headaches, nausea, and unknown effects over long periods of time of exposure. To lower the risk of potential complications from VOC, this page was created to give you the best low VOC paints for your home or business. Read on to find which paints are truly low VOC, and which ones will leave your walls freshly painted with less chemicals!
Benjamin Moore Aura Low Voc Paints
These paints are not only incredible in quality, but the whole line of Benjamin Moore's Aura is low VOC. It's also water based, which is a nice change of pace from the traditional petroleum based paints. I've personally tried the Aura line of paints and was more than impressed with the color quality. The smell of the paint was slightly less than traditional paint, but more importantly, it has less emissions and less chemicals (so you won't breathe it in). The paint has held up well two years after painting, and we still don't need to repaint. It hasn't chipped, cracked, or faded, so overall I am impressed. with the quality. I'd recommend it!
More on Low VOC Paint
Not sure if low VOC paint is right for you? Here are some things you can do to lower your exposure to VOC when painting, even when using more environmentally unfriendly paints:
1. Open the windows. Open as many windows as possible when painting. The more ventilation, the better. If possible, plan to paint during the warmer months when you can have the windows open the entire time that you are painting.
2. Plan to paint before a vacation. If you paint the inside of your home right before you are about to go away, the majority of the VOC will dissipate while you are away on vacation.
3. Step outside for a breather. Get some fresh air often when you're painting, don't stay inside.
4. Use a fan to direct air outside of the home. Point the fan in the direction of outside to drag air out.
5. Seal up leftover paint and discard used rollers as soon as possible in an outside trash to eliminate the scent and lower VOC exposure.
What Does Low VOC Mean?
If a paint is low VOC, it means that the paint is low in formaldehyde and heavy metals. They are also water based as opposed to petroleum based, so it will have a slightly less strong paint scent compared to regular paint (and will have lower emissions).
AFM Low VOC All Purpose Exterior Satin Paint
1 quart of low VOC all purpose exterior satin paint. This is a great earth friendly choice to cover the outside.
More Green Resources by the Author:
How to Paint Contrasting Stripes on Your Wall
Information on Low VOC Paint from EcoJunkie
How to Paint a Wall - It's Pretty Easy!
More Recommended Green Links:
- Eco Friendly Organic Household Cleaners
Be greener by making the switch to the eco friendly household cleaners from Chartreuse! These organic bathroom and kitchen cleaners will leave your home sparkling clean, without the chemicals. Essential oils naturally disinfect and polish, while baki
- Eco Friendly Products
Earth friendly reusables and products like organic facial care, all natural kitchen cleaning, and bpa free reusable sandwich bags can all be found here on this one-stop shopping site!
- Create a Healthy Home
Is Your Home or Office Making You Sick? Click Here to see products and information to help you create a HEALTHY HOME TODAY!!
More Links About VOC
- Environmentally Friendly Paint - Real Milk Paint
Eco friendly milk paint is a great option for your home due to its lack of chemicals. It also has a unique, crackled antique style look that will have a lot more character than your everyday paint.