- Home Decorating
Color in Interior Design
Interior design: Choosing your color
The word "color" looks and sounds simple, but itself, it's having really very powerful meaning.
Human eye reacts to everything and color is having ability to change our mood and at the same time our behavior.
Although there are billions of people in the world and everyone will react to colors in very different ways. The reason of it can lie deeply in upbringing, believing and life experience, the part of the world you live. Color association is generally based on a person's individual personality or cultural background. In Western cultures black symbolizes death, but in other countries the color of death is white.
However, there is a "norm" for every color. Psychologists found the standard psychological effect for every color which is likely to provoke either positive or negative effect, but color should be chosen for every specific place individually.
Now I'm going to write down the psychological effect of 4 colors: 3 primaries (red, green and yellow) and one secondary (purple).
When designing and choosing color:
be aware of emotional effect colour can create.
RED - associated with blood, fire, passion, love and excitement, vitality, strength and willpower.
- Its warm color which is associated with heat and warm.
- A room painted red will create an environment for ideas and intimate atmosphere.
- Also, it can be used in a home office for a feeling of power and opulence.
- You can use red in the bedroom because its color of love and passion.
- In heraldry, red is used to indicate courage. This color is found in many national flags.
- In internet red is used on "attention" buttons like "buy" or "new".
- In cosmetics (red lipstick, red nails and etc.).
- In traffic signs and lights to indicate danger.
- In advertisement ("Vodafone", "Coca-cola" and etc.).
- In fast food establishment because it also stimulates appetite.
Green - represents nature, the feeling of freshness, calmness, growth, stability, harmony, fertility, stability. Green has healing power and it's very restful color for a human eye. Also green is the color of youth and joyous rich life.
- Green used in advertising medical products and ecological food products.
- Used as a symbol of money and financial world.
- Deep green is used in executive or reception areas to give a feeling of stability.
- Used in kitchens to give freshness.
- In bedrooms to create harmony.
- In medical facilities because of calming effect.
Yellow - symbolizes cheerfulness, optimism, energy and intellect, but a dull yellow represents caution and sickness. Yellow is a stimulating sunny color. Bright, pure yellow is an attention-getter color, but when overused, may have a disturbing effect.
- Connotes safety because it's easy to see.
- In heraldry, indicates honor and loyalty.
- In interior design, you can use this color in dark living spaces to create light atmosphere.
- Its brightness are often used for illuminating dark spaces such as hallways and landings as well as kitchens.
- Bedrooms can look cozy with some hues of yellow.
Purple - is the color of royalty, power, nobility, luxury and ambition. It conveys wealth and extravagance.
- Is associated with wisdom, mystery, magic.
- Purple is a very rare color in nature.
- Light purple evokes romantic and nostalgic feelings.
- Dark purple evokes gloom and sad feelings.
- Good choice for bedrooms.
Life in Color
- Life in Color: Red, Red Pictures -- National Geographic
See photos of the color red from National Geographic. Check out other colors. So beautiful!
- The Complete Guide to Color Psychology [Infographic]
Color psychology is a fascinating subject and one that has received a phenomenal amount of research and discussion in the last few years. This infographic looks at the associations of color, the differences in cultural meanings, the theory of color p