- Home Decorating
★ DIY Bed Headboard Tutorials | Roundup of Fun Craft Projects ★
How to Make Your Own Headboard
Welcome to my crafty headboard page! Headboards are positioned at the head of a bed and are an excellent weekend project suitable even for beginners - plus by going the DIY route you can save yourself plenty of money too. I think the best thing about making your own though is that the design, material, shape and size of the project is completely down to you, so you can personalize it and make it exactly how you want it so as best compliment your home décor.
A headboard can transform the look of a room by making the bed more of a centrepiece, and below you will find plenty of tutorials which will hopefully inspire you to create your own. There are endless possibilities including embroidered, wooden, painted, tufted, modern and cushioned headboards, as well as many more!
Light-Up Branch Headboard
Options For Headboard Making
Headboards stand at the head of a bed and give the bed more of a prominence within a room, making it stand out more clearly as the central feature and focal point. I decided to take the headboard off my bed on a whim one day and I realised that it actually made the whole room look different by doing that...so I quickly put it back!
If you a DIYer then making a headboard yourself is a great weekend project, it will save you money (instead of buying a new one) and you can make it exactly how you want it. There are many ways to make a headboard, with the most popular choice being a wooden structure (padded or unpadded).
Here are some design and technique ideas for the headboard construction:
- Tufting: Also seen on some sofas and other upholstered items, tufting is a technique that has been around for a long time and is a traditional method of upholstery. If you want a padded, professional looking headboard, tufting is a great choice. Basically you cut your headboard shape out of wood, cover it in a layer of foam, then a layer of batting, then the final outer layer of fabric (which is your choice and could be almost anything from upholstery cotton fabrics to suede or thin leather). As you go along, corresponding holes are made in the wood and foam layers to allow the turfting to take place. The holes are placed at regular intervals in a simple line pattern - either in a diamond or square (biscuit) arrangement. A staple gun is usually the method of fixing the layers in place on the wood board. The tufting begins at this point and consists of taking strong thread through the holes already created in the headboard and anchoring them tightly at both the front (with a fabric-covered button normally) and at the back. The effect is a smart dimpled texture.
The tufting step can be missed out to create a plain padded headboard, or you can choose to pad individual panels rather than one large board.
- Repurposing: All kinds of materials and objects can be recycled into a headboard including: wooden pallets, pipes, barnwood, corrugated tin, doors, windows, fences/gates, mantelpieces, shutters, room dividers/screens, vintage signs and large picture frames.
- Wall Décor: You could tile a wall to create a mosaic headboard area, you could paint a headboard shape on the wall, or you could even make a headboard outline in tape for a temporary feature.
- Fabric: Some headboards are not boards at all but are simply fabric wall hangings e.g. a quilt, a flag or a curtain.
- Display: You can use the headboard area to display photo collages, wall art, posters, a painted canvas, a mural etc, or you could make a (clear Plexiglass-fronted or open-fronted) case to display a collection of items.
- Storage: You can have a shelf or cupboard at the head of your bead to store your bedtime reading books in.
- 3 Sided: My favorite headboards have the main flat section like normal, but the have narrow sides too just for a cozier feel. There's also nothing stopping you making curved headboards or other unusual shapes rather than just flat.
- Lights: Embedding a light or fairy lights into a headboard looks fantastic in the dark.
Decide on the style and size first of all because you could have a small headboard or one that could cover the entire wall (if you're feeling adventurous!)
How to attach the headboard?
Well, if it's tall and solid you can sandwich it between your bed and the wall, but it you want it to be more stable (which is recommended) you will need to attach it to the bed OR the the wall. You will need to decide if the headboard is going to be attached to the bed or the wall before you start the DIYing because it may alter the design and construction.
Normally flush mounts are used if you are going to hang the headboard from the wall, but make sure the mounts are strong enough first. Click here for information on wall mounting and using wooden struts to attach a headboard to a divan bed.
Top-Rated Headboards & Home Décor Books
Books & magazines are excellent resources for home décor inspiration for any kind of space and for any kind of style:
Paint Drip Headboard
- Polka Dot Board
Simple wood headboard with a painted dotty design.
- 6 Headboard Ideas
Creative range of inspiration including curtains and photo prints.
- Woven Veneer Headboard
A solid wood frame with thin strips woven together in the center.
- Door Headboard
A door is simple to convert with just a lick of paint.
- Mantle Headboard
Elegant and striking idea for a headboard.
- Quilt Headboard
Make or buy a quilt and drape it behind you bed.
- Recycled Fence Boards
With 'love' painted on the front.
- Fairy Light Headboard
An idea for a grid filled with lights, plus a pretty lit-up canopy.
- Graphic & Glamorous
Easy peasy idea using tape to create the design.
- Framed Tufted Headboard
Clear photos and instructions in this step-by-step tutorial.
- Illuminated Headboard
See how you can spell out a word in lights.
Recycled Wooden Doors
Headboard Designs You Can Make Yourself
- Wallpaper Headboard
A low-cost and quick way to add a headboard to a wall.
- Embroidered Headboard
Embroider a metal grid design onto a padded backing.
- Upholstered Otomi Headboard
Large fabric-covered headboard.
- Removeable Fabric Headboard
Perfect for when you are renting.
- Tufted Headboard
Technique for producing professional looking results.
- Nailhead Trim Headboard
Luxury for only $63.
- Upholstered Headboard
With very clear step-by-step photos.
- Faux Wood Intarsia Headboard
Beautiful image made by cutting shapes out of wood grain paper.
- Simple Tufted Headboard
Brilliant how-to with lots of photos.
- Giant Plywood Headboard
Upholstered board with a nail head trim.
- Patchwork Headboard 1
How to make individual padded blocks and piece them together.
- Patchwork Headboard 2
I love the fabrics used in this version.
Garden Gate Headboard
Homemade Headboard Tutorials
- Union Jack Flag
Patriotic British design that you can paint in different color schemes.
- Tufted Picture Frame
A traditional technique with a modern twist.
- Kid's Nightlight Headboard
Beautiful moon and stars design that lights up.
- Tribal Surfboard Print
Cool idea for surfers and beach hut décor.
- Huge Statement Headboard
Wooden boards almost cover the entire wall for this project.
- Headboard Cover
If your bed comes with a headboard included but you don't like it - cover it up!
- The Technique of Tufting
A fab step-by-step tutorial for guiding you through this popular way of upholstering a headboard.
- Quartered Tufted Headboard
Individually tufted sections come together for a modern look.
- Oversized Woven Headboard
Genius idea for upcycling old vertical blinds.
- Revamped TV Cabinet
Turn an old piece of furniture into both storage and a headboard.
- Retro Gaming Headboard
Fun and geeky idea for adding a pixelated hearts design.
Cool Headboard Projects
- DIY Painted Headboard
The perfect cheap headboard illusion.
- Chalkboard Idea
For the artistic minded.
- Book Headboard
A fab way to recycle book covers.
- Upholstered Sections
Many fabric covered sections joined together.
- Granny Squares
The perfect option for a crafty crocheter.
- Trompe L'Oeil
Spray paint over lace fabric to produce a pretty print.
- Diamond Tufted Headboard
A classic and traditional style for your room.
- Wall Stencil Shapes
Template to download to help you paint your own headboard.
- Gold Stenciled Planks
A wooden headboard with a subtle golden repeated pattern all over.
- Rope Web
Simple and modern, you can even paint the rope to match the dÃ©cor.
- Headboard of Books
Perfect weekend project for bookworms.
Barn Wood Headboard
How-Tos for Wooden Headboards
- Simple Fabric Covered Board
Tall statement piece which transforms a bed into a feature.
- Branch Headboard
Bring nature into your room by attaching branches to your headboard.
- 3-Sided Headboard
Create a wraparound upholstered headboard.
- Cabinet Doors Headboard
Detailed tutorial on turning cabinet doors into a headboard.
- Paneled Headboard
Inexpensive grid idea which incorporates the wall.
- Large Painted Headboard
Huge wood board with slats placed across it.
- Pleated Fabric Headboard
How to add a gorgeous minimalist pleat effect.
- Kid's Tufted Headboard
Colourful and funky design.
- Fence Turned Headboard
With a really pretty gold stripe accent.
Repurposed Wood Headboard
Ideas & Inspiration
- Ideas Slideshow
24 photos showing a variety of interesting options.
- Interior Obsessions
I particularly love the pallet headboard.
- 10 Dramatic Headboards
Attention grabbing designs and shapes.
- Unconventional Headboards
Interesting and unusual ideas.
- 22 Photo Ideas
Gallery of inspiring ideas.
- Embellishing a Headboard
Really pretty idea of adding wool fabric flowers to your headboard.
- Headboard Art
Use framed picutres and photos for an artistic display.
- Upcycled Shutters
Revamping old shutters is an easy way to create statement décor.
- 20 Repurposed Headboards
I love the wooden oars and the corrugated metal creations.