How To Buy Floor Tiles
Things to consider before buying floor tiles
As a home owner myself, I know how difficult is to choose the flooring for your house. There is a huge variety of ceramic tiles, porcelain, natural stones, terrazzo, mosaics and many more. You need to research your flooring prior to purchase. Think of the type you want, texture, finishing and color.
Which one is the best? What to choose?
It's hard to say which one is the best at the start but please do not lose the hope.
1. Try to imagine your ideal stone flooring. Try to visualize the space. Create a brief. By choosing the right flooring you can transform your house. May be you should draw a small plan. You should look through the design magazines, check interior design websites, order by post tile catalogues or ask for some brochures from the tile shops you visited. This is the starting point.
Books about tiles
2. The second thing you have to do is to decide is the size of the tile. Do you want big or small, rectangular or square or you prefer the mix of sizes? For big areas choose big tiles or medium. Small areas will require a smaller size. May be you want to use a mix of different sizes. By using different formats you can create a nice pattern and add some luxury to it.
Color of the tiles
3. Try to decide on the color. Color plays an important role in a house design. Light colors will create more space, darker ones will add more texture, warmer colors will give you warmth and cool colors will recede the space.
5. The last but not least is the price. Price plays an important role in the final decision. Be smart, ask for a discount but don't choose price over the quality. Try to research. Don't forget to add the price for adhesives.
Finishes and textures
4. As well agree on the finishes/textures. It comes in different finishes like matt, polished, satin, structured and honed. Tiles will have different varieties of textures. By texture I mean that some porcelain might imitate the stone, some stone might have a lot of fossils and veins, where another stone will have less texture.
You need to know as well...
6. As well you might consider various factors like durability, wear and tear, producer's country, slip resistance, frost resistance, tile thickness, stain resistance, delivery of the tiles and etc. Please note that you can prioritize my points in your own way.
Enjoy your shopping and please come back for more interior design tips.