How To Make A Garden Stepping Stone
By Broken Dishes
That's right you can create beautiful garden stones by broken dishes or china. So don't throw that china away or those ceramic dishes away. OOOPS so you broke one or two. Save them in a box or container and later use them for beautiful stones for your garden.
It was a hot day as usual in the summer time of July on Saturday afternoon. I decided to clean out my curio cabinet with all my beautiful collection of china ware. But for some reason something came up and I was feeling rushed to get my task that I started out doing finished, so I won't have to leave my china out laying around.
Instead of getting the job done, I some how tipped over the curio trying to catch my balance from falling off of that chair and then YUP all my china that were still left in the cabinet came crashing down! :( What a loud noise, OUCH! To my dismay there were many broken.
The phone rings and as I am trying to get them picked up, I don't pay attention to the ringing of the phone, then it rings again and again so I thought I better get it, it might be important. It was a friend of mine. I shared with her what I was doing and what a mess I have made. I told her that I was about to throw the china away because there were no use for them now.
She then suggested to me to save the pieces and she would show me how to make garden stones out of them. I said what do you mean by garden stones what does broken china have to do with garden stones? She preceded to tell me that you can create a beautiful design with the pieces that broke by making garden stepping stones. That was the first for me, I never heard of how to make a garden stepping stone, but she said to hold on to them and she would show me how.
Beautiful China Dish Sets - Try not to break any of them lol
I have always loved china they make for a great collection and beautiful dish-ware when company comes over.
Broken China And Dishes
So she came over about a week and half later. While we were chatting she asked me if I saved those pieces of china dishes that I broke? I said I sure did. So she preceded to tell me what I can do with these pieces.
She said her and her daughter went out to a thrift store and bought old dishes to do a project for her daughter's school, (show and tell). She saw this being done in a crafty magazine and thought that it would be something fun and different to do with her daughter.
She said that they put a protective cover over the dishes that they got from the second hand store and hammered them to pieces, of course they put it on a surface that they didn't mind doing it on. And with the protective cover over them it kept small products of the dishes from flying around.
Then she had her daughter use safety glasses for protection just in case. She told me that she didn't have the piece of the stepping stone to show me because they used that in her daughter's school. It was still there on display for one of the best projects that were done.
She did give me a list of what I can use to get started and she basically gave me the instructions on how to make a stepping stone out of broken dishes. She also stated that it didn't necessarily have to be only broken dishes but broken glass. gems or anything to add to the stone.
In my own investigation I was amazed on the things that you can make from broken dishes. It wasn't just stepping stones but you can make jewelry and many other things from broken items.
So next time you break something, remember that not all is lost :), just use your own God giving imagination and don't limit your self to what you can do. I will share with you the basics on how to create stepping stones out of broken dishes or china etc.
The first thing you will need to do is, to make a list of the things that you will need.
Things you will need
- A non stick cake pan, depending on the size and shape that is up to you, it can be round or a heart shaped pan.
- Your broken dishes, glass, gems whatever you want to mix into the design.
- Rubber gloves
- Concrete and water
- Newspaper or old cloth to protect the service.
- Non stick cooking spray or vaseline.
- Old stirring spoon or small hand shovel.
- Measuring cup with a mixing stick.
- Bucket for concrete
How To Make Stepping Stones
Once you get all your supplies together the best thing for you to do is to get the broken dishes and lay them out separating the smaller pieces from the larger pieces. I hope your doing this in a place that allows for you to be messy. But do cover the area that you are working at first.
Practice the design on what you want on the stepping stone on a round shaped or whatever shaped pan that you are using; with a sheet of paper. You can outline the shape by placing the paper under the pan being used. Start tracing the paper with a light pencil and then cutting out the shape. Then practice your design.
Ok you have the design decided then lets proceed on to the next steps.
Lets get started - Make your beautiful stepping stone
- Get your bucket, concrete preferably finer grain mixture. You can get it at a crafty store or any building supply stores. Following the instructions on the package you will mix water into the bucket of concrete using an old spoon or wooden stick. Make as much as for one or two stepping stones but not for more then that, otherwise it will get to thick.
- Pour your mixture into the pan that you are using make sure that it is placed on a flat surface. Make sure that you sprayed the pan first with non stick spray or vaseline.
- Take the broken pieces that you have put on your design paper and carefully remove them and lay them onto the concrete that is setting in the pan by following the design that you have practiced doing.
- Carefully press the pieces down into the concrete making sure that there evenly placed. You don't want any of the broken pieces sticking out, it should be smooth no rough edges.
- Once you are finished place the stepping stone out to dry, make sure that if you place it outside that you cover it to protect it. It can take up to a couple of days to dry.
- If you want you can put a varnish on it once it is finished drying to protect it or coat it with a shine.
- When completely dry you can remove it from the cake pan and then place it in your garden to add color and charm. Don't use that cake pan for food or cooking purposes you can save it for the next stepping stone.
Can Be Afforable And Thrifty
Project in a Day -- Homemade Stepping Stones
Children's stepping stone kit
Lots of fun for the kids to get involved,in making a garden stepping stone, it gives them something to do and makes them proud that they can do it. A crafty way of keeping your children occupied especially while they are off of school.
Stepping stone kits
A fun educational way to keep busy and to keep your children entertained. Just imagine the smile on their face when one is completed. This is another way of making your own stepping stone with your own kit.