How to grow tomatoes upside down
Grow tomatoes upside down - Unusal but fun!
If your looking for an unusal way to grow your tomatoes then look no further. Why continue to grow your tomatoes in the ground or gro-bags when you try to grow tomatoes upside down. Trust me this is fun.
Benefits of growing tomatoes upside down
Growing tomatoes upside down can help your tomatoes plants to produce better, bigger yields, this is down to a better airflow around the plant and there being less stress upon the branches during growing. You will find that the smaller plant varieties are better suited to this method of growing. Other benefits of growing your tomato plants this way include:
* No need for staking
* Tomatoes rippen faster
*No weeding required
*The pest that love to destroy your tomatoes will find it hard to to get to them
*Fruit does not come into contact with the ground which means you wont have the rotting problems this can bring.
* Great idea if your short of growing pace or have poor soil.
Photo by kkimpel
video - How to grow tomatoes upside down
Best tomato varietes to grow upside down
What are the best varieties of tomatoes to grow upside down
When choosing the variety of tomato to use in your upside down tomato planter, it is best to stick to the smaller determinate varieties. You will find that the indeterminate varieties can grow too big for the container without careful pruning. So lets take a look at some of the best varieties of tomatoes for growing upside down.
* Celebrity bush tomato. This is one of the great all purpose tomatoes to grow. The tomatoes are full of flavour and have a high level of disease resistence. This is a determinate, bush variety of tomato where the fruit all ripens at once.
* Window box Roma. This is an incredble compact dwarf plant, with an incredible flavour that produces high yields of red pear shaped tomatoes.
* Tumbler cherry tomatoes. This is an early ripening variety that can produce up to 6lbs of sweet tasting cherry typs tomatoes.
* Micro tom tomatoes. This tomato plant has to be the worlds smallest measuring 6-8 inches tall and produces plenty of red fruit about the size of a large cherry tomato.
*Basket boy red. This is a great tomato plant for upside down containers with good diesease resistence. A high yielding plant which produces tastey red pear shaped tomatoes.
Upside down tomato planters available from amazon
New planter: The Upside-down Tomato Garden. Forget staking tomato vines! Let gravity take over with this innovative Planter that elevates the planting bed. Up to 4 tomato plants grow downward from 4 pop-out holes in the bottom. Hanging vines need almost no attention. And tomatoes ripen in the air, where they won't rot. Grow additional veggies, flowers or herbs on top in normal fashion.
How to make your own upside down tomato planter
Making your own upside down tomato planter is a good deal cheaper than buying one and can be a great way of recycling old bottles, buckets etc.
I have put together a list of the best sites that go in to great detail on how to make your own upside down tomato planter, so why not give it a go.
The cheap vegetable gardener shows you how to construct an upside down planter using an old plastic bottle, including step by step photo's. Visit the cheap vegetable gardener.
See how Kay M has made her upside down tomato planters using brand new plastic paint buckets, full step by step instructions with photo's. Visit make your own upside down tomato planters