Why I Love Moringa
How I Came to Love Moringa
Of all the edible greens available, Moringa is my favorite, hands down. Compared to lettuce, spinach, kale, mustard greens - whatever greens you like to eat - Moringa is the King of them all - well - at least I think it is! Admittedly, there is a lot of scientific research available to substantiate Moringa's nutritional benefits: ultimately, my taste buds and Moringa's effect on my body are all the science and truth I need.
I came across the incredible Moringa tree, when I was investigating edible landscaping for our family. We had already planted a lot of other things that grow well in the southern US, but Moringa intrigued me with its fast-growing properties and apparently extreme nutrition.
To say that it was "love at first bite" is an understatement. Moringa leaves are truly delicious, and I was hooked for life. The photo is mine, from one of our incredible Moringa trees. Just look at these beautiful bright green leaves, glistening with dewdrops like gemstones! Don't you think that is a lovely sight?
Moringa Grew on Me
Well, not literally...
All I can tell you is, the more I was exposed to Moringa - in any form - the more I loved it!
Not only does it taste good, the plant itself is beautiful!
The leaves are bright, intense green.
The tiny flowers are delicate and profuse.
The trees smell like roasted nuts.
The buds and flowers are delicious - even though they should not be eaten raw, like the leaves can be.
The pods are a conversation piece, and the young pods are edible.
Chopped up Moringa branches, left over from harvesting the leaves, buds, and blossoms, and pods - make an excellent mulch I have not found any commercial mulch, to beat it. Talk about keeping down weeds!
Moringa has become a part of my life, 'cause it smells good, looks good, tastes good, and is one extremely useful tropical tree!
So,... I grow it.....harvest it.....promote it.....sell it.....eat it.....and love it!
Great Reading for Those in Tropical Climates
One Of Our Moringa Pods - Almost 4 feet long!
10 Reasons Why I Love Moringa - The list is really endless, but I'd only bore you...
The reasons are many - and I discover more of them weekly! You know, when you LOVE something, it is often difficult to say why, but Moringa makes it easy.
- Moringa is a fast growing plant. We have had some of our Moringa trees grow over 20 feet tall their first year!
- You can start to eat its leaves as early as three weeks from planting the seeds - but you won't get many that way!
- Moringa leaves are just delicious, right off the tree, raw- the best way to eat them!
- Their leaves grow "clean" and if I strip a lot of them off the branches, to eat in a meal, they require minimal rinsing. When I eat them right off the tree, I never rinse them at all!
- The nutrition God packed into Moringa leaves is legendary. Merely eating its leaves has been scientifically proven to dramatically affect one's health, and I have seen some incredible results from eating it, in my own body.
- Moringa can be grown as an annual in cold climates. or as a perennial in warm ones. Being a heat-loving tree, Moringa doesn't like cold temperatures, at all. My Moringa Oleiferas and Moringa Stenopetalas should really not still be alive, after this last cold winter, but - they live!
- There are so many other things that I love about Moringa, but the main thing is that you can help others get extreme nutrition into their bodies, with a humble, incredible tree - that is safe for infants and adults, alike!
- It is so easy to grow, even a child can do it, and it is a LOT of fun for them to see how fast it grows!
- Moringa leaves are easier to prepare than just about any green I've eaten, and the pods are edible, the flowers buds are edible, the flowers are edible, and the seeds are edible.
- Moringa can be incorporated into the natural landscaping of any hot climate, and it is especially beneficial to many poverty-stricken nations, to combat malnutrition. A little Moringa - goes a LONG way!
- So,... I'll let you do some investigating on your own, as the Moringa tree has people who passionately love it, all over the world!
We have only cited TEN REASONS WHY WE LOVE MORINGA, when there are actually hundreds, but it's hard to swallow a whole meal at one time - besides, would you really want to read through a whole page filled with reasons we love Moringa?
The Moringa Book I Loan Out The Most!
So, how do WE eat Moringa? - Good question...here are some of the ways
A Few Ways We Enjoy Moringa
Here are just a few dishes that I have made with Moringa. Believe me, there are many, many more.
I had to laugh, at how one of my grown daughters reacted, when she saw the photos. She said - "Dang, Mom! You MADE all those dishes? I didn't know you knew how to cook!" Her remark was occasioned by the fact that I have been so busy at my business, for the last 13 years, that the meals at home were sketchy, to say the least.
Top row, we have a Portabello Mushroom and Moringa Salad, followed by Moringa Chili, and Scrambled Eggs with Moringa.
Center row, from left to right, is our Moringa Omelette, Quinoa and Moringa Stenopetala, and Portabello Mushroom, Tomato, Onion, and Cheese Moringa Tower.
Bottom row, features: Moringa Leaf Loaf, Wholegrain Moringa Pizza, and Moringa Phyllo Squares.
The dishes were all made by me, and seemed to please everyone who sampled them. The photos were all taken by me, too, in my own kitchen.
There are so many creative ways to eat Moringa leaves, and we have also enjoyed Moringa Dill Fresco Quiche, Moringa Artichoke Spinach Dip, and Sautéed Moringa with Garlic. Now matter how we eat Moringa, we enjoy it every time. I'm sure you will find lots of ways to incorporate this tasty, nutritious leaf into your diet, that I haven't even imagined!
Moringa (Maluggay) Recipes on Amazon
More "MoringaMania" - and some photos to view.
Because the Moringa Tree is such a fun tree to grow, and a valuable tree to grow, mainly for your health, that is - we talk about it a LOT! Here are a few places that you can read more about the "drumstick tree", or the "horseradish tree", as it is also commonly called. If you are fortunate enough to live where the ground never freezes hard, you can grow them, and eat from them - year-round.
Important Reading About Moringa
- How to Add Moringa to Your Diet
In a nutshell, a short article on how to incorporate Moringa into your daily diet, to benefit from its remarkable health-promoting qualities. This article will only take a few minutes to read, but will provide you with a wealth of information.
- Here's How to Make Those Trees Produce!
So, how do you get a Moringa tree to produce leaves, really fast? You PRUNE them - over and over again. Here's an article we wrote, just to show you how to do it properly, to insure a bountiful harvest of leaves, and sturdy, bushy Moringa trees.
- Moringa for Malnutrition
There IS a solution to the worldwide tragedy of malnutrition. Moringa can be utilized in many ways, to combat hunger, feed the needy, and teach people in underdeveloped countries how to sustain themselves. Fight malnutrition with the Moringa tree!
Hardbound Excellent Book on Moringa
Our Moringa Trees Thrive on Enthusiasm
If you love Moringa, or just heard about it for the first time, or grow it yourself, or whatever...tell us! We love to hear from you, and I am just about convinced our trees grow stronger and faster every time they are praised!
Photo Credits: All images were photographed by the author- E. Tack
© 2010 Emily Tack