Contemporary Indoor Water Features: Floor Fountains and Waterfalls
Contemporary water features like water fountains and waterfalls used indoors serve more than aesthetic purposes. The calming and soothing sounds of flowing water within the home has made more people appreciate the use of water as an element within the home. An element that has wonderful beneficial effects on emotions and personal well-being and adds serene energy to the indoors.
Indoor floor water fountains and waterfalls come in various types, designs, sizes, and are made from different materials that range from terracotta and bamboo to glass, stone, and acrylic. Some include glass stones, gravel, and pebbles, as well as black stones, green stones, and a mix of multicoloured ones.
For the modern look, many people prefer floor water features made from man-made PVC based materials and simulated components including other new age materials, while the rustic or classic die-hard fans may go for water fountains and waterfalls that are made from natural materials like fired clay, bamboo stems, copper, steel, driftwood, marble, slate, and granite.
With water circulation, it flows in different ways. While water cascades gently down as it does with the waterfalls, other floor water features circulate by 'pouring' from one beautiful receptacle to another, or tipping water from several vessels, one after the other.
In most cases, any design of floor water fountains will fit in perfectly in any contemporary or traditional setting. They continue to remain an eye-catching addition to any room.
Ideas on How to Use Indoor Water Fountains
Personal needs, taste and style play important roles when one desires to own an indoor water feature. How and where it is placed will also depend on everyone’s creativity and imagination.
- An elaborate standalone floor unit can serve as a room divider. Any open space can be partitioned with contemporary water features, using indoor floor water fountains. For instance, as a space separator between the living and the dining area or a room divider for the purpose of creating a separate zone within a room.
- Set against a wall to serve as a focal point in a room. Modern tower floor water fountains (up to 3’6” or 1.06m) made from resin, fibre-glass, concrete, or mounted metal and glass are popular choices while traditional/classic styles majorly made from concrete with spherical configurations, balls, or sculptured features mounted on pedestals or plinths.
- A clear glass floor fountains will make a great centrepiece. It will enable full viewing in the room, regardless of where you are. Many other indoor fountains are designed to be centrepieces with sturdy bases.
- For a simple minimalist look, use a lustrous design that features a sleek wall of tempered mirror or glass, or natural slate which acts as a backdrop for the flowing water. These designs allow the water to be the key feature.
- Several contemporary water features have lighting options for floor fountains. Waterfalls with fitted underwater lights are an additional source of indoor lights which give off soft glows of light that elicits feelings of warmth and reflection.
- Naturalists and advocates of green-living will love the beauty of natural materials like bamboo, rocks, and large smooth stones as components of floor waterfalls and fountains. Use them as a showpiece if you want a tropical or oriental style interior.
With its rising popularity, indoor water features can be used in both residential and commercial interiors. They are used anywhere from offices and clinics to spas, hotels, nightclubs, restaurants, and other similar establishments.
You can use floor water features in any of the following areas:
- Entry Porches
- Enclosed patios
- Reception rooms and areas
- Living and dining rooms
- Niches and alcoves
The ways you can use them is almost limitless because they can be placed in a variety of positions in different ways. They will fit in perfectly within most areas of a home's interior.
Benefits of Water Features
Flowing water is therapeutic so having a water fountain or waterfalls within your home gives you as much satisfaction in its beauty and complementing nature as it does health wise. This means that they don't only serve as decorative features, the soothing rushing sounds of flowing water have therapeutic benefits that help relax and calm you.
Other benefits of having water fountains in your home are listed below:
Calming and soothing - Sounds of waterfalls helps the mind focus on pleasant thoughts. It’s like listening to distant sounds of a mountain's waterfall within an interior space. This is the reason why many homeowners attest to the fact that it gives a sense of tranquillity, peace, and serenity. Also, the flowing sounds of falling falling will lull you into a deep and sound sleep.
Production of beneficial negative ions - Waterfalls and fountains are known to produce beneficial negative ions which are minuscule electrically charged particles that help in keeping us alert, but in a relaxed mode. This makes it therapeutic.
Humidifying - As water moistens the atmosphere, so does an indoor water feature humidify an interior space. This is good because it increases the elasticity of the respiratory walls and passages, making breathing easier and therefore healthier.
Skin therapy – Water fountains in the home have a great effect on the skin, keeping it moisturised and supple, an added benefit for people with dry skin. It’s also good for the prevention of rashes and flakiness, and helps in alleviating skin allergies caused by air pollutants
Relieves stress - The quietly flowing sounds and ripples are stress and tension relieving. It is a great thing to come home after a hard and stressful day's work to a tranquil interior. The soothing sight of flowing water, the falling sounds and the clear sparkling waterfalls will calm raw nerves and inspire a relaxing mood and atmosphere.
Promotes healing - Indoor fountains have been known to promote and speed up healing and have been recommended by therapists to treat several ailments like PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder), and insomnia. They are great for meditation, a practice that is advantageous to the body and soul.
Stimulates happiness - The soothing sounds of cascading water and the sight of flowing waters stimulates happiness because the sight and sounds are invigorating and mood enhancing.
Increased sense of security - Several research studies have shown that having an indoor water feature in the home leads to a greater sense of well-being and overall security. Water has trans-formative powers and has long been used as one of the two essential components in the art of Feng Shui (the art of balancing the elements of interiors in a way that creates peace and harmony).
Longevity - Living a stress-free, healthy, and balanced life leads to longevity so installing an interior waterfall feature in your home can extend your lifespan by reducing the level of stress that you are subject to.
Purification - Purifies polluted air by removing impurities that usually accumulate in unventilated interior spaces.
Maintenance of Indoor Water Features
Indoor water features are easy to maintain, and because they come with a built-in plumbing system, there is no need for extra plumbing works. All that is required in terms of water supply is to ensure the water is topped weekly, about a couple of cups a week depending on the size and design of the fountain.
Indoor water fountain flow-pumps are durable and are generally adjustable, so, you can decide on a slow or fast flow for water circulation and re-circulation, depending on the size of the water reservoir.
HAVE YOU CONSIDERED LIVENING UP YOUR INTERIORS WITH WATER FALLS?
© 2010 viryabo