Decorating Tips for Niches, Alcoves and Other Small Spaces
Many homes have pockets of small spaces that are either alcoves, niches, nooks under the staircase or just tiny spaces that they often don't know how to decorate or don’t take into consideration when carrying out interior design and decorating tasks.
Small space decorating ideas must be aesthetically pleasing and at the same time, these small spaces must be functional. A good example is using an alcove to provide an extra sleeping space, whilst decorating the rest of the space with a unique theme.
Interior design and decorating of small spaces should be an exciting venture and these otherwise 'dead' areas can be decorated with framed wall hangings, special décor, large and tall vases, furniture, unique area rugs, interior water features, and other home décor objects. The possibilities for ideas of small space decorating are endless.
Making the most of decorating small spaces decorating small spaces, niches, small rooms or corner spaces within the interior of the home can pose a challenge sometimes, but it's easier than can be imagined. With creativity, an eye for detail and guiding the mind towards “small”, it will turn out an easier feat than is expected
Decorating Ideas For Small Spaces
With a small space, one can think grand because these small areas have great interior design and decorating potentials and can be made to become the highlighted area of an interior space.
Here are 8 makeover tips for small space decorating and design ideas.
1. A lone plush and large scale sofa can give the illusions of a large area. No other item of furnishing is required.
A nice runner rug can be placed on the floor in front of it. Plush up the sofa with nice brightly coloured throw pillows to give it a comfy soft look and feel.
This softens up the small space and makes it functional as an additional seating area.
2. Mirrors will do wonders in ‘tricking’ the eye to see a seemingly enlarged space.
The type of mirrors will depend on the space. If for instance there is a window within this small niche, then there will be no need for a mirrored wall.
If however there are 3 walls encasing the tiny space, all 3 the walls can be mirrored. This enlarges the space considerably.
Depending on the colour scheme of the entire room, the mirror may the regular silver mirror, a bronze mirror, or antique themed mirrors.
3. Set an area rug on the floor. Place an unusual coffee table holding family or personal memorabilia and collectibles on the area rug. Ensure the area rug is slightly larger than the coffee table. This nice could be an area where guests can linger, looking at the interesting objects the table holds.
4. A small library can be created in a small open space or corner. A large Victoria or gothic bookcase can be placed there. With books filling the bookcase, it’s a good area to store or display all the books in the home. Placing a drop front secretary which will serve as a bookcase or a writing surface will give a similar effect.
A modern desk positioned rightly can serve as a writing surface or a place to do a work from home business. It can also serve as a dining table for 2.
5. Enlarge a niche or small space with a lone wall fully mirrored.
On the adjoining walls, add a collection of small framed wall hangings to give the space character and interest.
6. An array of assorted vases arranged on small low strands or is a group placed directly on a plain rug on the floor.
These vases can be a mix of tall stand alone vases with beautiful dried plants or low bowl vases filled with lovely smelling potpourri or scented candles floating on water.
7. Create a soft atmosphere by lining the walls with a deep luxurious velvet wall covering. If velvet is found to be a bit pricey, felt or wool will do just fine, and it’ll also give the same soft effect. If there is space, place a light daybed made with natural or engineered hardwood and a couple of throw cushions. A scroll chair placed in a similar space provides a similar ambiance. The small space will be transformed to somewhere very inviting.
8. The small space or room can also be made to have a warm and cozy feel, by introducing a large and plush comfortable chair with a small table and unusual table lamp. It can also have a small scaled single occasional chair. Remember again to throw in a good source of light from a floor or table lamp that has a vintage theme.
Do You Have A Small Space That Can Benefit From These, Or Similar Decorating Ideas?
© 2010 viryabo