Interior Water Fountains: Benefits of Relaxing Water Features in Your Home
People just love indoor water features in their homes and offices.From standalone water fountains to the cute and decorative table top features, incorporating these items with other interior décor features is a brilliant idea. Asides serving as decoration items, they also function as natural soothing elements that provide us with calming thoughts and unmatched serenity.
Asides this fact of serving as decoration items, indoor water features also function as natural soothing elements, water sounds that provide us with calming thoughts and unmatched serenity.
It's like sheer tranquillity indoors!
Indoor Water Features Are Not Only About Aesthetics
To own one is not only about placing something pleasing on your coffee table or mantlepiece. It's also not merely installing a wall mounted waterfall as a focal point in the living room. Watching water cascade and flow over rocks, plants, or stones; gazing at it pouring out of tilting terracotta pots is therapeutic. and is an important part of a discipline that focuses on people's relationships with their natural environment . . . it’s really like living indoors with nature around you.
As therapy, it is an important part of a discipline that focuses on our relationship with the natural environment. It is like living indoors with one of the elements, water. This creates harmony with natural forces, believed to influence us all in a positive manner.
Many buy indoor water features for their soothing clean sounds and their ability to distract from other noisy nuisances within our interior space. Sounds of flowing water will mentally drown out 'chit chatting' sounds of noisy workers, the drone of the TV, or the ‘click-clicking’ sounds of keyboards in an open office environment.
This means that asides the beauty of indoor waterfalls and what it may represent to different people, if there are disturbing sounds around you, you can ‘drown’ them out with the wonderful and graceful sounds of gently cascading water.
Types of Indoor Water Fountains
There are numerous styles and varieties of water features that you can use indoors, made from both man-made and natural materials. They range from ceramics and natural stone to coated steel, PVC based, and glass, slate, granite, and marble. Styles include the classic and traditional; the contemporary and modern and fall under the following categories:
- Wall mounted
- Table top
- Patio fountains
5 Benefits of Interior Waterfalls
- Calming and soothing - Sounds of waterfalls helps the mind focus on pleasant thoughts. It’s like listening to distant sounds of a mountain's waterfall within an interior space.
- Production of beneficial negative ions - Waterfalls and fountains are known to produce beneficial negative ions which are minuscule electrically charged particles that help in keeping us alert but in a relaxed mode. This makes it therapeutic.
- Humidifying - As water moistens the atmosphere, so does an indoor water feature humidify an interior space. This is good because it increases the elasticity of the respiratory walls and passages, making breathing easier and therefore healthier.
- Skin therapy - Its presence in the home has a great effect on the skin, keeping it moisturised and supple, an added benefit for people with dry skin. It’s also good for the prevention of rashes and flakiness.
- Relieves stress - The quietly flowing sounds and ripples are stress and tension relieving. It is a great thing to come home after a hard and stressful day's work to a tranquil interior. The soothing sight of flowing water, the falling sounds and the clear sparkling waterfalls will calm raw nerves and inspire a relaxing mood and atmosphere.
Therapeutic negative ions:
- Removes impurities from the air in the interior space
- Helps in alleviating skin allergies caused by air pollutants
- Decreases interior pollution and the risk of respiratory problems
What’s the Right Kind for You?
There are many exquisite and stylish indoor fountains that can be bought 'off the shelf' but you’ll also find loads more to choose from if you shop online.
If what you seek is something that makes a bold statement in your room, water fountains do that powerfully. You will find them used extensively in commercial buildings like restaurants, hotel receptions, and office interiors. You may have seen some companies integrate their logos into water feature designs and have them installed on a feature wall in their reception, a striking focal point for their organisation.
So, which type will work best for your interior space? First, it's good to know where you will like to place the feature. Is it on a wall, on your coffee table, on your patio, or bedroom nightstand? Your answer will determine the type and size of water feature ideal for your space.
These types are also referred to as desktop water fountains. Depending on the surface you intend to place them on, they come as small as six inches high to anything as high as three feet.
You can use a small table top fountain on a desk, nightstand, coffee table, corner table, floating shelves or just about any other surface. Table top water features possess a unique look that enhances the appearance of any element on which they are placed.
2. Standalone (floor)
Standalone waterfalls can be incorporated into the theme of any room, even in your bedroom, if you have the floor space (though they hardly occupy much space). Its use is diverse - placed up against the wall, placed in a floating position, or placed to serve as a decorative room divider.
For an illusion of a French door, for example, a floor fountain with water falling over a flat face will appear like a frosted window/door. These types require no plumbing and are very easy to set up with simple step-by-step assembly guidelines.
3. Wall mounted
Wall water fountains are mounted on a clutter free wall and if installed right will dramatically enhance the ambience of any home or office. Many that fall into this category are made of fine copper, steel, glass, slate and stones.
If you have them installed on a prominent interior wall, they can serve as your focal point of the room.
Indoor water features are very easy to maintain and as they come with self-contained (built-in) plumbing, there isn't any need for extra plumbing works.
All that is required in terms of water supply is to ensure the water is topped weekly, about a couple of cups a week depending on the size and design of the fountain/waterfall.
Flow pumps are quite durable and generally adjustable so you can decide on a slow or fast flow for re-circulating the water coming from its usually small reservoir.
Why will you buy water features for your home?
© 2010 viryabo