Kitchen Cabinet Colors
Choosing Kitchen Cabinet Colors: More Choices, More Decisions
So many of the kitchens we see pictured nowadays have white or stained-wood cabinets, that you might think those are the only choices. Nothing could be further from the truth! Kitchen cabinet colors span a wide spectrum and you should make sure you see the full range available before you make your decision, as it can have a huge effect on the feel of the room.
As well, many people nowadays are using more than one finish or color for their kitchen cabinets, with different colors on top and bottom cabinets, or one color on the perimeter cabinets and a different one on the island.
Read on to discover more, then for more how-to and inspiration, visit my kitchen decorating pages.
Intro photo: kevinw1
Kitchen Cabinet Colors in Context
Choose Your Kitchen Color Scheme
As all homeowners know, a wide variety of decisions need to be made when considering any renovation or redecoration project in the home. Beginning with your vision of the "perfect" room or home, you plan carefully, select the best available materials for your project, and hire a contractor or begin the work yourself.
Kitchen cabinets are no exception. As our kitchens have become more and more the focus of our homes, they have begun to take on multiple roles. In addition to being where we cook and eat our food, the kitchen is now often the social center of the house and/or a home office as well. The cabinets are a large part of the overall feel of this space.
Your first consideration should be your kitchen colors. Whether you are doing a complete kitchen overhaul or a smaller-scale project, the color choices you make have an enormous effect on your finished kitchen. Color can affect the size and shape of the room and even alter the moods of the people using the space. Kitchen color schemes have come a long way in the past few decades. People now feel free to select colors that reflect their personalities or make a statement, rather than sticking with the traditional wood-grain theme. Kitchen paint colors now encompass the entire rainbow, from bright yellows to dark reds and medium blues.
Do a Test Run
Test your new colors by painting just one or two cabinets before you do the whole lot.
Kitchen Color Ideas
More than black, white and wood!
Because your cabinets take up so much room, the kitchen cabinet colors are the key to your whole color scheme. Some experts advise that you make the cabinets neutral colors and change the color of the paint or accessories to create the atmosphere you want. But if you want to select a color that reflects your personality or makes you feel good, think about these well-known characteristics of particular colors:
- White generally makes a space feel larger. Depending on the other colors in the room, white can be seen as sterile or refreshing. White cabinets provide many choices for the rest of the kitchen.
- Black is a popular choice for many because of its air of elegance and wealth. While it can also look a little sinister, the overall effect is created by the pairing of other colors with the black. Black is often used to make large kitchens seem smaller and more intimate.
- Yellow is a color often seen in kitchens, but seldom one of the main kitchen cabinet colors selected. Yellow provides light and warmth for a room and is especially recommended for darker spaces. It is also easy to mix other colors and wood tones with yellow.
- Bright blue is a very cool, light color that evinces feelings of freshness and relaxation. It is often used to mimic the color of the sky to make rooms seem larger and more open.
- Green, the color of nature and the outdoors, is considered relaxing and fresh. A light yellow-green combination is a favorite of many and easy to match with other colors in the kitchen.
- Another popular color for kitchen cabinets is orange. This color provides quite a few variations, from the warmth of terracotta to the freshness of peach and the stimulation of pumpkin. Orange is particularly recommended when you want to draw attention to something in your kitchen.
When you are considering your own kitchen color ideas, remember these hints about colors and the feelings they evoke. As you select your kitchen cabinet colors, take into account the fact that the cabinets are a very large part of the room and as such, their color sets the tone for your kitchen. Choose a color that reflects your personality and makes the statement you most want to make.
Pick your kitchen color schemes with confidence!
Great book for covering all your color options in the kitchen, not just cabinets - how to tie everything together!
Our kitchen is still in the old colors of greyish white and baby blue - yuck! - but we have started to repaint. Walls will be pale yellow, and cabinets a mid-range olive-y green with some pale yellow accents.