Lemon: The Best Fruit Ever
9 Reasons Why Lemon is the Best Fruit
You would be amazed by the many things lemons can be used for, from food and drinks to domestic cleaning, odour removal, anti-bacterial and freckle removal.
Be Thrifty, be Savvy:
Save yourself some money by learning a few of the secrets that large corporations would prefer you not to know!
Is there nothing these lemons can't be used for?
No fruit is as versatile as the humble lemon - they're worth
their weight in gold (and almost cost that amount nowadays!)
- Full of vitamins
- Useful for its flavour in cooking
- The juice makes a delicious drink
- Useful for skincare and removing brown freckles
- Useful for cleaning
- Useful for hair care
- Useful for invisible ink
- Use to whiten finger nails and fingers
- Use as a deodorant
Before we go into detail below, I thought you might enjoy my silly Poem called "Lemon": - Is she like anyone you know?
Say what you think of it - squeeze out a comment, pips and all
Lemons Are Full of Vitamins and Minerals
1. Lemons are Nutritious
Health Benefits of Lemons:
- Lemons are very beneficial to health because they contain vitamins C, B12 and B3, antioxidants, citric acid, phosphorus, iron, magnesium, and potassium, which can improve your immune and digestive systems and have detoxifying effects.
- Lemons are a natural diuretic, causing frequent urination which enables the body to flush fat cells from your body and rid it of surplus water and toxins.
- Citric acid assists digestion by stimulating stomach juices, which helps to combat toxins, encouraging efficient metabolism. and absorption of essential nutrients. With poor digestion, your body incorrectly reacts as though it is malnourished; this stimulates a craving for food, so correcting this may stop food cravings and thus assist you in losing weight.
Source of Information: How do Lemons Burn Fat - Livestrong : Colin Linneweber
2. Use Lemon for its Flavour in Cooking
Lemons act as a flavour enhancer and meat tenderizer
Lemons in Cooking:
- Lemon is a seasoning which enhances the flavour of sauce, meat, vegetables and cakes. It is a flavor catalyst, interacting with the taste buds to make the flavors that follow more pronounced.
- Squeezing Lemons: To extract the maximum amount of juice, roll the lemon on a flat surface applying light pressure as you do so, thus bursting the juicy cells in the lemon's flesh, releasing more of the juice.
- Lemon skin is called zest, and contains powerful flavor compounds.
Cooking with Lemons:
The acid in lemons reacts in different ways with different foods. It can helps to dissolve connective tissues in meat, and lemon juice is therefore commonly used in marinades, where it tenderizes tougher cuts of meat. It will help vegetables such as potatoes and turnips to maintain their white color, and, squeezed over fruit, it stops it turning brown, so is particularly useful squeezed over fruit salads, bananas, avocado pear, apples, aubergines, and any fruit or vegetable which is liable to discolour when exposed to the air.
But beware - the acid in lemon juice can curdle milk,
But Remember Your Hygiene!
Before you use your lemon, give it a wash - you don't know where it's been - some people only wash their hands after their work is done rather than after they have used the toilet! The outer skin could be full of germs!
3. Lemon juice makes a delicious drink
You can make all kinds of drinks
- - Lemonade with freshly squeezed lemons, sparkling water and sweetening (sugar, honey and/or commercial sweetener)
- - Hot Lemon and Honey - good for sore throats and colds as the honey also has healing properties. I sometimes add a dash of whisky or brandy (for medicinal purposes only, you understand!), for an extra comforting warm glow.
- - Lemon Tea - a refreshing drink which you can take either hot or cold.
- - Hot Lemon and Ginger - use fresh crushed chopped ginger, or half a packet of Chinese ginger drink. The ginger also has medicinal properties, and if you add honey as a sweetener, you have a drink with three beneficial ingredients.
- - Brandy Sour - A very more-ish cocktail made with brandy, a generous squeeze of lemon juice, topped up with ginger ale and ice cubes.
4. Lemons are Useful for Skincare
Use Lemon Juice to banish blemishes and freckles
- Use Lemons For Skincare:
- Acne Remover - Wet a paper towel with lemon juice then rub it on your skin blemishes, pimples, and other acne lesions.
- clear up facial blemishes - Dab lemon juice on the blemish a few times a day.
- Eliminate blackheads - Rub lemon juice over blackheads before going to bed and leave on overnight, washing off in the morning. Repeat for a few nights, until you see a big improvement in the skin.
- Lighten or remove age freckles on your hands and arms - Rub lemon juice onto freckles and leave to dry two or three times daily for a consecutive days - you should see a significant improvement.
- Relieve rough hands or sore feet - Apply lemon juice, rinse, then massage with olive oil.
5. Use Lemon for Cleaning and Deodorizing
Lemon has antiseptic qualities too
- Use Lemon for Domestic Cleaning and Deodorizing:
- Stain Remover - Remove ink spots from clothing while ink is wet, apply lemon juice liberally to the spot, and then wash the garment in normal cycle with regular detergent in cold water. You can also use lemon for removing blood, ketchup, tea and coffee stains. It works not only on clothing, but also on plastic containers, cutting boards and furniture.
- Remove rust and mineral discolorations on cotton clothing - Use one cup of lemon juice in your washing machine.
- Clean your microwave oven and remove smells - Add four tablespoons of lemon juice to one cup water in a microwave-safe bowl. Boil for five minutes in the microwave, allowing the steam to condense on the inside walls of the oven. Then wipe clean.
- Clean and shine brass, and copper, and also stainless steel kitchen sinks - Make a paste from lemon juice and salt, scrub gently, then rinse with water - The acidic properties in lemon work wonders on the surfaces of metal furniture and china. Add the juice to soap, when cleaning metal items.
- Deodorize a cutting board - Use lemon juice to wash your cutting board to remove the smell of garlic, onions, or fish.
- Remove fruit stains from your hands - Rub hands with lemon juice.
- De-scale your bathroom taps - leave used lemon wedges against the bases of your bathroom taps for an hour or so to allow the citric acid to dissolve limescale..
- China and Kitchenware Disinfectant - Use lemon extract when washing your china and other kitchen equipment. Its acidic content displaces dirt and kills germs easily.
6. Use Lemon for Haircare
You'll be amazed what lemon can do for your hair!
- Use Lemon Juice on your hair:
- To Create Blonde Highlights - Wet your hair, squirt lemon juice all over and sit in the sun - it will lighten up. It works particularly well on blonde or light brown hair.
- Get rid of dandruff - Add one tablespoon of lemon juice to your shampoo, then rinse with water. Rinse again with a mixture of two tablespoons lemon juice and two cups water. Repeat every other day until dandruff disappears.
- For shiny hair - use lemon juice with or instead of your usual conditioner.
7. Lemon Juice for Invisible Ink
Children love invisible ink
- Use Lemon Juice to Write with Invisible Ink:
- Use a cotton wool bud or toothpick as a pen to write in lemon juice on a piece of white paper. Once it dries, To read the message, hold the paper near a hot light bulb. The writing will turn brown.
8. Whiten stained fingers and nails with lemon
Especially good for fingers stained brown by nicotine
- Use Lemon to Whiten and Strengthen Fingernails and Remove Nicotine Staining:
- Soak fingernails in lemon juice for ten minutes, then scrub with a nailbrush using a mixture of half white vinegar and half warm water. Rinse well.
9. Use lemon as an emergency deodorant
(But mind you haven't got any open cuts....ouch!!)
Lemon as a Short-Term Deodorant :
- If you have run out of deodorant and need it urgently, wet your armpits with lemon juice. The deodorizing effect will last for a few hours.
Magic Bullet - Nutribullet - Grind Your Lemons and Other Fruit into a Nutritious Drink
This is a top Amazon Best Seller in Kitchen Appliances. At present it's selling at a reduced price, and well worth a look.
Video About Babies Eating Lemon for the First Time
Poll on the Uses of Lemons - Take this poll and see how you measure up against other pollsters!
Take this Poll About Lemons:
Were you aware of the many uses of lemon? Did you realize that your use of lemon need not just be confined to food and drink?
Do you Use Lemon for Anything Apart from Using it for Food or Drinks?
Try Your luck on an eBay Auction - Or Buy Now on EBay
Have a look and see if there's something you want (lemon-related, of course)
Love a Lemon
You Can't Go Wrong With a Lemon
unless you get it on a cut by mistake - then you'll find that lemons can even make you curse and jump!
Useful Links relating to Lemons
- Vitamin C - Linus Pauling Institute - Oregon State
This is an excellent and very detailed medical article about research on Vitamin C and its various benefits. Excellent information if you really want to follow up a lot more detail than you have read in this web page
- All About Lemons - Cooking with Lemons - by Danilo Alfaro
How you can use lemons in cookery, with lots of further useful links to recipes.
- Lemon, Ginger and Honey - a Comforting and Nourishing Drink
A tasty recipe, nice photos, and a video
Please say Hallo - it's always good to see who has visited