Liquidation Sales Tricks - Focus On Linens 'N Things
Linens N Things Announces Bankruptcy and Store Closing
All Linens N Things stores set to close by January 1, 2009
On October 19, 2008, Linens N Things announced via email that it would be shutting its doors permanently. Liquidation sales had begun 2 days previous to that, on October 17. As of January 10, 2009, little was left of the online site, lnt.com, and all retail stores were closed. On January 29, 2009, word was getting around online that the Linens 'N Things name was bought for around $1 million by Hilco Consumer Capital and Gordon Brothers Brands. What is next for this housewares big box name and was the whole liquidation process a further consumer milking? You decide!
Government Crackdown on Phony Going Out Of Business Sales - They can't go on for more than 90 days
Watch this video from CBS Atlanta, covering how the state of Georgia is cracking down on phoney 'Going Out Of Business' and liquidation sales that use this stunt as a sales tactic. The liquidations cannot take longer than 90 days, unless a federal judge has ordered the company to clear all inventory and this is LEGITIMATELY taking longer than 90 days.
Liquidation Sales Tricky Tactics
Savvysugar came to the same conclusions as we did in their expose on liquidation sales tactics at stores like Linens 'N Things and Circuit City. The liquidators actually raise prices and then gradually lower them. In effect, you may end up paying even more for an item during a liquidation sale than you would have previously. AND - don't forget that all sales are final! Check out the the savvysugar expose on pricing scams at LNT liquidation sales.
Linens 'N Things Liquidation Timeline
How Long It Took The Prices To Drop
- October 17, 2008 - Linens 'N Things liquidation sales began.
- October 19, 2008 - LNT announced via email it would be closing all stores permanently.
- November 2, 2008 - All items at LNT were up to 30% off (20% off electrics, glassware and storage, 20% off dinnerware, serveware, decorative accessories, quilts, coverlets and bedskirts, 20% - 30% off floorcare and vacuums, an additional 10% off chafing dishes and roasters), with an additional 20% discount offered through November 3, 2008.
- November 6, 2008 - Discounts increased to 40% for electronics, window shades, blinds & hardware, quilts, coverlets and bedskirts. Towels, cookware, bakeware, cutlerly and candles were added to the 20% discount category. An extra 10% discount was offered on kitchen electronics through November 7. All bedding was reduced by 20% to 40%.
- November 9, 2008 - All items at Linens 'N Things were at least 20% off. An additional 10% discount was applied to Super Sets, Bed in a Bags and Comforter sets for 4 days.
- November 13, 2008 - All window treatments, duvets, daybeds, and dinnerware were added to the group of items discounted by 40%. Glassware, flatware, lighting, furniture and personal care electrics were discounted by 30%.
- November 20, 2008 - Quilts, coverlets, duvets, bedskirts, daybeds and decorative accessories were further discounted to 50% off. Lighting, decorative bath accessories, lighting, sheets, bedding ensembles, wall decor and furniture was reduced by 30%.
- November 23, 2008 - Everything at LNT was further reduced to between 25% to 50%.
- November 25, 2008 - For 4 days, LNT offered 10% off your order total and Thanksgiving Doorbuster Sales with reduced prices of between 40% and 70% off.
- December 1, 2008 - Free shipping was offered on bedding ensembles for 3 days.
- December 4, 2008 - All items at Linens 'N Things had their original prices reduced by between 40% and 60%. Glassware, flatware, furniture, vacuums, table linens and products for the bath were now reduced by 40%. All dinnerware, serveware and SELECT bedding ensembles, window curtains and electronics were now 50% off.
- December 7, 2008 - Free shipping was offered Dec. 7 and Dec. 8 on all orders totalling $150 or more.
- December 9, 2008 - An extra 15% discount was offered on sheets, bedding ensembles, towels and window coverings.
- December 11, 2008 - Free shipping was offered on all orders totalling $125 or more with coupon code XMS08
- December 12, 2008 - All items were discounted between 40% and 60% from their original prices. Free shipping was offered on select items. An extra 10% was discounted on orders totalling $150 or more.
- December 14, 2008 - Buy One, Get One 50% Off (on top of current reductions) was offered by Linens N Things.
- December 16, 2008 - Free shipping was offered on all bedding purchases for 2 days. Originally the cutoff date for Christmas delivery on standard-shipped items was Dec. 13. This was extended to Dec.18.
- December 18, 2008 - An extra 10% discount was offered on all orders totalling $125 or more with promo code XMS10
- December 21, 2008 - An additional 20% discount was offered for 4 days on New Year's Eve party needs glassware, dinnerware, flatware and serveware.
- December 25, 2008 - Linens 'N Things had reduced all its prices between 40% and 70%. Through the 26th, an additional 20% discount was offered. All bath items had free shipping and free shipping was offered on over 100 other items in the store.
- January 1, 2009 - An extra 10% savings plus free shipping was offered on all vacuums, cleaning items, trash cans, storage items, picture frames "and more".
- January 4, 2009 - All items at Linens 'N Things were reduced by atleast 50% from their original prices, with discounts going up to 75% on cookware, candles, wall decor and kitchen organization. 70% discounts were offered on window hardware, quilts, bedskirts, duvets and bath accessories. Towels, bath rugs, dinnerware, glassware, flatware, table linens and frames were discounted by 60%.
- January 8, 2009 - An additional 20% discount was offered on select items for 3 days.
- January 11, 2009 - Buy One, Get One Half Off was offered in addition to already reduced prices on all dinnerware, lamps, lamp shades, toss pillows, slip covers and bath accessories.
- January 18, 2009 - An extra 10% discount was offered on all orders totalling $100 or more for 3 days.
- January 22, 2009 - "Buy One, Get One Free" was offered on pillow cases, decorative pillows, pillow shams and window coverings through January 25.
- January 25, 2009 - Window curtains, bedding ensembles, sheets, bed-in-a-bag sets and more were offered at 60% savings. Fans, robes, vanity mirrors, personal care bath items and more were offered at discounts of 70% from the original prices. 80% discounts applied to bath accessories, dinner ware, serve ware and table linens. HoMedics products were still excluded from general discounts, being offered at 40% of the original prices.
- January 29, 2009 - Prices dropped another 10%. Window curtains, bedding ensembles, sheets, bed-in-a-bag sets and more were offered at 70% savings. 90% discounts applied to bath accessories, dinner ware, serve ware and table linens.
- February 16, 2009 - Clicks on www.lnt.com redirect to www.thenewlnt.com. Nothing is there yet, but we are informed that the page will again be stocked with familiar brands for the home.
Was I correct?
I had the LNT liquidation all wrong! The sales went on FOREVER, with real discounts taking a long time to materialize, if at all. As soon as the liquidators made their money, we were told the Linens 'N Things Name would live on..
Not Such A Bargain
Liquidation sales tactics are revealed for both Linens 'N Things and Circuit City.
LNT Reincarnated as an actual brand - Linens 'N Things to become the brand it never was.
When shopping at Linens 'N Things you could have purchased items from Wamsutta, HomeMedics, Noritake, Mikasa and others - but not 'Linens 'N Things' branded items. A recent buyout of the Linens 'N Things Name may change all of that.
- Linens 'N Things Not Gone Forever - Todd Sullivan's Value Plays
Linens 'N Things will most likely remain as a brand name - something this retailer was NOT while it's stores were existant. According to Todd Sullivan's 'Value Plays' blog on Wednesday, January 28, 2009, "At a bankruptcy auction earlier this month, H
- GORDON BROTHERS BRANDS AND HILCO CONSUMER CAPITAL ACQUIRE LINENS ‘N THINGS INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY ASS
February 6, 2009, it was announced online at both the websites of Hilco Consumer Capital and Gordon Brothers that a joint venture between these two companies resulted in a purchase of the intellectual property of Linens 'N Things. The Linens 'N Thin
Articles on Linens 'N Things Store Closures - News from around the U.S.
Which Linens 'N Things retail outlets are closing? Read these reports from across the US on Linens 'n Things store closings.
- Yakima Herald.com - Linens 'N Things Store To Close
"NEW YORK -- Specialty retailer Linens 'N Things, which filed for bankruptcy protection in May, plans to begin liquidation sales at its stores as early as Thursday after failing to find a buyer that wanted to operate the company."...
- Dayton Daily News - Linens 'N Things Closing at Dayton Mall
"The Linens 'n Things store at the Dayton Mall is holding a liquidation sale before it closes its doors. All items are up to 30 percent off at the store, 2700 Miamisburg-Centerville Road, and its Web site, www.lnt.com. The sale began Oct. 17."...
- 13 WHAM.com - Linens 'N Things Stores Closing
"Rochester, N.Y. - Home goods retailer Linens 'N Things is shutting down its stores nationwide, including its three Rochester locations."...
- San Francisco Chronicle - Linens 'N Things To Close Fewer Stores
"Bankrupt retailer Linens 'n Things on Monday offered a sign that business may be improving slightly, saying it will close fewer stores than originally anticipated."...
- azcentral.com - Linens 'N Things Closing Chandler, Gilbert Stores
"Linens 'n Things is closing two stores that draw Chandler shoppers. Chandler Crossing, 2640 W. Chandler Blvd., just east of Loop 101.Crossroads Towne Center, on Gilbert Road immediately south of the Santan Freeway in Gilbert."...
- azcentral.com - Linens 'N Things Store in Surprise Will Close
"A Surprise bedding and housewares store is one of 177 underperforming locations selected to close by its parent company."...
- The Desert Sun - Linens 'n Things stores plan bankruptcy sales
"Closing sales will begin Friday at the remaining 371 Linens 'n Things stores in 48 states, including one in Rancho Mirage and another in Temecula, after the bankrupt housewares retailer failed to find a bidder to continue operating the company, it w
- WXYZ.com - Linens n Things closing Michigan Stores
"AP/WXYZ) - Bankrupt retailer Linens 'n Things on Monday offered a sign that business may be improving slightly, saying it will close fewer stores than originally anticipated."...
- Recordnet.com - Stockton Linens 'N Things To Close
"A north Stockton Linens 'n Things store is among 57 stores that will be closing in the next several months nationally as the home furnishings and bedding retailer continues through bankruptcy reorganization."...
Prices are reduced, but are they good? - Can you find it lower somewhere else?
I was looking at a Krups Electric Kettle (model FLF2-J4) at Linens 'N Things. Originally, it was was $49.99 and is on sale for $39.99. I thought I'd check the price over at Amazon to see how this compares. At Amazon, this same kettle is said to sell new for $90, but be available at amazon.com for $49.99. You can also get them both used and new from $32.99. Looks like for a new electric Krups kettle, Linens and Things is selling at around Amazon.com prices.
Shipping prices? Linens 'N Things was $5.99: Amazon.com was $4.99. Both companies shipping charges vary based upon the item, total order's weight and delivery method.
What sort of prices can you find for comparable kitchen appliances at eBay? - Its probably cheaper still..
Do they have Krups electric kettles for sale at eBay? Probably so. AND - probably cheaper than LNT is currently liquidating them for.
Linens 'N Things - Business Info and Bankruptcy / Sales Coverage
- Wikipedia: Linens 'n Things
Wikipedia offers information on Linens 'n Things acquisition and trouble as well as its bankruptcy.
- Deals Of The Day blog from Centsible.net keeps track of bankruptcy sales
Centsible.net's "Deals of the Day" blog promises to keep people updated on sales during the liquidation of Linens 'n Things.
- Linens N Things at Centsible.net
Check with Centsible.net's page devoted to Linens 'N Things for quick links to Linens 'n Things by department, shipping promotions, deal summaries and an explanation of the LNT shipping policy.
- CoStar Group - Linens N Things Fully Liquidating
"Linens 'n Things was scheduled to go on the auction block today (Oct. 14), as the bankrupt home accessories retailer decided to put itself up for sale after giving up on its reorganization process and getting the news that Cerberus Capital Managemen
Linens N Things Bankruptcy in the news
Squidoo Affilations - I'm a member!
Did you learn something here? I certainly did and I hope my knowledge helps you with your shopping. Not only do liquidation sales use tricky sales tactics to sell merchandise at premium prices (and even merchandise from that's not moving at other stores!), usually coupons aren't honored and all sales are final. Liquidation sale? I'm more likely to stay at home than shop! What about you?
Contact Laura Schofield
*If you would like to suggest any links or have your own photos and / or stories published, please send me an email. I can be contacted through my personal homepage, laura-schofield.com. If you enjoy the work I've done here, I do offer professional copy writing, photo restoration / manipulation, search engine optimization and web design services. I can again be contacted for any of these services through my website.