Lucky Bamboos, Bamboo Meanings, Caring for Your Lucky Bamboo & More..
Lucky Bamboo also known as Dracaena braunii, Ribbon Dracaena, Belgian Evergreen and sometimes called Ribbon Plant.
It is said that the lucky bamboo is the practice of Feng Shui - (which is believed to use the laws of both Heaven and Earth to help one improve life by receiving positive energy in a room).
Its also the bringing of natural elements of water, fire, earth, wood and metal into balance within the environment.
What is a Lucky Bamboo?
Lucky bamboo has been well known for years as a bamboo plant, actually this is incorrect. Its not a bamboo, but is a member of the lily family that grows in the tropical rainforests of West Africa and south east Asia.
This shrub growing plant grows upright to 1.5 metres (5 ft) tall, with leaves 15-25 cm (6-10 in) long and 1.5-4 cm (1-2 in) broad at the base.
This plant is widely used as indoor plants in households and offices around the world as a decorative plant.
Why is it called the Lucky Bamboo?
For centuries, the Chinese have symbolized this indoor bamboo plant as luck and wealth.
Many cultures throughout Asia have associated this plant with good fortune to their owners, fortitude, and resilience, also in India its a symbol for true friendship.
Lucky Bamboo Meanings
The ancient Chinese tradition believed that the number of stalks on the Lucky Bamboo plant have different significance, meanings and benefits.
Also according to tradition the quantity of stalks determines the kinds of energy the plant gives or send out into one's home and life.
"The more stalks in the planter, the greater the blessing of good fortune and luck"
- Two (2) stalks of Lucky Bamboo - signifies expression of love. This number of stalks is also said to double your luck.
- Three (3) stalks of Lucky Bamboo - is said to be one of the most favorite number combinations to have in your home. It brings three kinds of luck to you: Happiness (Fu), Long Life (Soh) and Wealth (Lu).
- Four (4) stalks of Lucky Bamboos - the word four in Chinese language sounds very similar to the word used for death. The number four is said to draw sha (negative) energy and people of the Chinese culture, will never give a four stalked bamboo plant as a gift or possess one in their homes. It is very impolite to give a 4 stalked bamboo as a gift to anyone in China and would be interpreted that you're giving the recipient a death wish.
- Five (5) stalks of Lucky Bamboo - represents wealth.
- Six (6) stalks of Lucky Bamboo - symbolizes "Luck" in Chinese culture. It is said to bring prosperity, favorable conditions and assists one to achieve greater wealth.
- Seven (7) stalks of Lucky Bamboo - symbolizes wealth, happiness and Good health.
- Eight (8) stalks of Lucky Bamboo - means to grow and thrive.
- Nine (9) stalks of Lucky Bamboos - is a symbol of good fortune.
- Ten (10) stalks of Lucky Bamboo - represents completion and perfection.
- Twenty-one (21) stalks of Lucky Bamboo - this bamboo signifies powerful abundant all blessings.
Caring For Lucky Bamboo
The lucky bamboo plant aka (Dracaena sanderiana) is a popular houseplant, that survives in many indoor conditions, preferably indirect lighting is best for this plant as direct sunlight can cause the lucky bamboo leaves to turn yellow and burn.
Although its said to grow better in soil, many people sells this bamboo plant with its roots in water.
If you decide to grow your bamboo in water here are some;
Keynotes to Follow
- Lucky bamboos that's in water should be kept fresh by changing every week and water level should be approximately 1" from base of the canes.
- Clean water is an essential ingredient in taking good care of your bamboo. Do not use pipe, salty or softened water. Instead use bottled water or even water from a good water filtered system.
- This plant strives best in bright, indirect light and temperatures from 15 to 25 °C or 59 to 77 °F.
Is Your Lucky Bamboo Turning Yellow?
If you have yellow or brown leaf edges on your lucky bamboo, this may be a result of too much direct light, crowded roots, salty or softened water, fluoridated or chlorinated water.
Want your Lucky Bamboo to grow really well and healthy looking?
This Super Green work wonders for your plants and have been tested on Lucky Bamboos and regular plants in soil and proved that leaves grow almost 3 more inches in 2 weeks, and plants look much healthier.
Even the Lucky Bamboo farms in China are actually using this Super Green Lucky Bamboo Fertilizer Plant Food to grow their lucky bamboos.
Directions in getting the best healthy blooming bamboo plant - use half the amount of Super Green directed on the box, just add approximately 5 drops of liquid into your lucky bamboo arrangement directly into the water every week and with this Super Green.
Also you can add this super green fertilize to the soil of other house plants in your home or office for a healthier growing plant.
Lucky bamboo makes excellent gifts for him and gifts for her for the office and unique decorative house plants as well.
Ready to enjoy and share the blessings of happiness, health and wealth?
Here are some Lucky Bamboos that you can buy at Amazon.com.
Lucky Bamboo Plants Suggestions
All the best with your lucky bamboo plant!