What Makes a House a Dream Home?
When you decide to build a dream house, you are taking a major step toward owning your own property but deciding is just the first step to actualizing your dream. You need to consult with your architect if you are building a new house, or to your interior designer if you plan to renovate an old one. Your desires should be translated through the floor plans they design and present to you.
Careful planning of your home design from the onset will ensure you achieve your goals.
So, what are the qualities of a dream house and what determines the status that qualifies it to be tagged ‘dream’? Is it in its size, its location or how luxurious its interior and architectural design is?
Everyone’s idea of a dream home varies because we all have different reasons to be house proud. While many view expensive and luxurious homes as the ultimate in residential designs and architectural styles, others believe that it is not in the size but in its functionality, efficiency, and of course aesthetic beauty.
Sometimes, great things come in small packages and this can also apply to homes. There are many smaller and more compact but beautiful homes, many of them you can also find high-rise apartments with superb interiors.
Top Features of Dream House Floor Plans
Is your dream home a large, medium, or small sized house? It can be any and you can desire anything from a Mediterranean style house or a small country home to a penthouse apartment, a terrace house or even a beautiful container home. This means preferences can be based on its architecture style or its interior design with vaulted ceilings, bay windows, home theatres, outdoor rooms, and elegant kitchens and bathrooms.
Today’s preferred choice, however, lies in modest homes with lavish interiors. Aspiring homeowners majorly opt for medium to small size homes with over-the-top interior layouts that's a dream to live in with features like open floor plans, split levels, ensuite bedrooms, walk-in closets, home offices, and multi-purpose spaces with plenty of storage facilities.
Below, you will find some features that you may wish your architect or designer incorporate into your house floor plans during the initial design stage. Perhaps they are some of the important features that make a dream house different from regular home designs.
- Landscaping - Some homeowners prefer a low maintenance lawn with minimum shedding plants. A great landscape/garden is typical of dream houses.
- Two-door garage - Even with owning just one car, the other garage is usually converted to a workshop, games room, a work-at-home station, or a utility room.
- Open plan - Today's choice is an open plan interior concept that gives a visual effect of large open spaces flowing into each other. It's great for entertaining guests. Usually, there are no demarcating walls between the living, dining, and kitchen areas.
- Energy saving fixtures and appliances - We are in the age of technology and find we have more fixtures and appliances than we did in the past. This calls for energy saving methods with the use of energy saving appliances and light fittings.
- Patio or Outdoor living area - A patio or deck are great areas for relaxation or entertaining. Having any of the two or even a large outdoor living area that extends from the interior out, and furnished with comfortable furniture and decor is typical of a home that's a dream.
- Ensuite bedrooms - Another common feature is having all bedrooms ensuite. Each and everyone has their own private bathroom with all the necessary amenities. Smaller room's bathrooms can always make do with a shower cubicle instead of a bathtub. Master bedrooms come with both showers and separate bathtubs.
- Master bedroom walk-in closet - Nothing pleases most homeowners more than having a spacious walk-in closet with great organisation systems in their master bedrooms.
- Ample storage space - In a dream home, you want everything organised and stored in their allotted spaces. There are so many places you can build-in storage facilities in a very organised manner.
- Large kitchen with island - Large open kitchens lined with built-in cabinets with stone countertops (granite, quarts) and tall hanging units. Having a kitchen island unit is also a common feature.
- Pantry - A kitchen must-have. Well designed homes require a pantry, no matter how small the available space may be. A walk-in pantry is an added bonus.
- Work-at-home station - Because many people now work from home, this is always a welcome addition to any home worth its salt. This workstation can be carved out from and space including under the staircase, a dead-end niche, the garage, or in a corner of the living or dining space.
- Pet resting zones - A place for pets to rest or sleep without taking over that expensive couch. Private pet zones with their own furniture and furnishings are typically found in dream homes. The four-legged members of the family also require their own space, just as other family members do.
Inspiration and Ideas for New House Floor Plans
Due to the craze for the down-sized way of living, people's needs are changing when it comes to what they desire for their homes. Many are less interested in architectural styles but more particular about the interior and what it will offer them as a household. They are willing to do without the massive spaces of the past that were some of the 20th-century's most popular rooms like halls, separate dining rooms, and smoking rooms. They now require spaces that will accommodate their 21st-century lifestyles.
If you are still in the decision-making stage, and you need some inspirations for dream house plans and designs, sites like Pinterest and Houzz will stir your imagination. Study their home styles closely and save your favourites and priorities to show your designer so it can be reflected in your floor plans.
You can get residential design ideas from books like Luxury House Plans that include floor plans and photo illustrations that can guide you through the drawing plans and home improvement ideas. You can also visit online stock floor plan vendors like ePlans who can customise any house plans and blueprints you purchase from them to conform with whatever your dream design is. They have thousands of floor plans of houses that you can choose from.
On the other hand, if you are planning to lease or rent a house or apartment, you should find a good real estate company to search for your ideal house or interior design that will fulfil your aesthetic requirements and suit your lifestyle.
What's your idea of a dream home design?
© 2010 viryabo