- Home Improvement
Interior Design: Decorative Paint Effects
So you came to the store, selected a colour paint but have you thought about the paint finish you want to use? There are so many different types of decorative paint finishes. You can do wonders with them! Need a quick makeover? Decorative Painting is the way to go!
There are 4 main types as combing, sponging, stenciling, colour wash and trompe l'oeil. It was the main decorative paint finishes I've found, but there are more of them which I'd like to mention in short: glazes, dry brushing, dragging, sponging off, spattering, stippling, antiquing, marbling, imitation terracotta, verdigris, faux leather, stamping, gilding, crackle glaze, scumbling, block printing.
1. Apply a coat of emulsion to the wall and allow it to dry thoroughly.
2. Create colourwash by thinning emulsion paint: 1 part paint to 4-8 parts water and then experiment on a small area until you find a mixture that is both easy to work with and which creates the soft gradations of color you require.
3. Using a large decorative brush, apply the wash in random, bold, criss-cross strokes over an area of ~ 1 sq m.
4. Take a slightly damp paintbrush and go over the wash to soften the brush marks and wipe up any drips. Leave this coat to dry for overnight or at least 12 hours.
5. Repeat the technique, again working on 1 sq. m. at a time.
6. This time apply criss-cross strokes to the areas you missed the 1st time.
How to color wash - YouTube
Learn how to color wash you walls in a few easy steps. Let Sandra Kiss London of Faux Like a Pro show you how to apply this alternative paint finish to make your walls come alive.
1. Apply an even base coat to the prepared surface.
2. Leave to dry, then rub down lightly and repeat if necessary.
3. Thin the top color slightly with white spirit and brush over the base. NB. Once the paint starts to dry it can't be combed.
4. When using a fairly transparent paint (glaze) there may be faint brush marks in the surface. You can remove them by lightly dabbing the wet paint with a soft cloth.
5. Drag the comb through the wet surface to reveal the contrasting color beneath, keeping your strokes as even as possible. Vary the pattern by changing the direction of the strokes.
6. When combing is finished it is important to leave the paint until it is completely dry. If necessary, apply 2 thin coats of clear varnish to protect textured surface.
The Basic items
Paint sample guide, white paint, roller set, brushes and the point & paint is what you need for a start.
How to apply combing paint finish
The technique known as faux painting adds grace and sophistication to any room. These combing effects create rich textures and handmade detail to the wall finish, which cannot be matched by similar...
1. Prepare the surface. Paint on the base coat. Leave to dry thoroughly.
2. Pour a little sponging color into a shallow dish. Dip the sponge in water and squeeze it thoroughly. Then dip it into the paint and squeeze to remove excess paint.
3. Lightly dab sponge over the surface. Turn sponge as you work in order to vary the pattern.
4. Recharge sponge with paint whenever necessary, testing it on a piece of scrap paper before. Restart sponging till it finished.
5. If you want to apply the 2nd sponged coat when the previous one is quite dry. Fill the gaps between prints and also overlap some to blend the colors.
Learn on how to apply sponging effect - Stylish and easy
Learn how to sponge paint with a little help from The Home Depot. Sponge painting is fast, easy and inexpensive
Stenciling - Latest trend
1. Choose your stencil attach it to the wall with masking tape or spray adhesive.
2. Apply a colour. Whether you are using a stencil brush or a spray can, the secret is a light touch.
3. With a spray can, waft it quickly and gently over the surface, gradually building up the color in subtle layers.
4. If using stencil brush, rub it on a piece of paper towel until almost all the paint has been removed from the head of the brush, then stipple or swirl it over the stencil.
5. Remove the stencil, reposition and repeat process.
Home depot shows you how to stencil
Learn how to paint vertical stripes on a wall. Vertical stripes are one of the most versatile wall finishes. In this video you will learn the steps needed to create vertical lines on your walls.
Trompe l’oeil - My favorite
1. Trace a design onto tracing paper using pen or pencil. Draw a grid over it, numbering each square.
2. Draw a grid directly onto wall, with the same number of squares, numbered to correspond with your original grid.
3. Paint wall square by square.
Trompe l'oeil video - you can't do it in one day
How to Paint Wall Murals : Composition Tips for a Wall Mural Painting. How the organization of shapes in your mural will keep the viewer's attention and using a value sketch; learn this and more in this free online painting video about wall murals taught by expert.
You might need these
Learn how to use to paint to create stunning paint finishes :)