Push Reel Mowers: The Green (and cheaper) Way to Mow Your Lawn
Get Ready For Summer With A Reel Mower
Using a push reel mower is a smart way to save money, take better care of your lawn and help improve the environment.
Today's reel mowers are lighter and easier to use than ever before. They make a great alternative to gas or electric mowers, especially if you have a small yard.
So before your power mower breaks down or the price of gas rises...consider getting a reel mower.
Advantages and Benefits of Using a Reel Mower
- Good For The Environment - Reel mowers run on people power. There's no use of fossil fuels to pollute the environment.
- Quiet - No loud noise to wake your neighbors or frighten your pets. You can have a conversation or listen to music while you mow the grass.
- Better For Your Lawn - The scissor like action of the blades cuts the grass cleanly which is healthier than the hacking done by a regular lawn mower blade. A reel mower leaves the clippings on the lawn which acts as a natural fertilizer for your lawn.
- Low Maintenance - No oil changes, no tune-ups, no trouble starting after the winter. Sharpen the blades every couple years, spray a little WD-40 on it occasionally and you're set.
- Cheaper - You can purchase a high quality reel mower for less than the cost of a low end gas mower. Plus you'll save on fuel and maintenance costs every year.
- Good For You - Pushing the mower provides you with light exercise free of breathing in the exhaust fumes of a gas mower. Your ears will appreciate the quiet.
- Less Space Needed To Store - Reel mowers are less bulky than a gas or electric mower. Lean it up against a wall and it's out of your way.
- No Blast Of Debris - Unlike a power mower which can hurl rocks, sticks and clippings out the side, your reel mower will just calmly snip the grass as you walk along.
Did You Know?
"One hour of lawn mowing with a gas-powered lawn mower produces as much pollution as driving your car for four hours."
Source: Texas Commission on Environmental Quality
Reel Mower Video - Reasons to switch to a reel mower.
Do you own a reel mower?
Reel Mower Video - A new reel mower owner demos it.
Things to Consider Before Buying
- Not As Good Cutting Tall Grass - When your grass gets to be 4" or higher the mower will have a tougher time cutting consistently and you may need to make multiple passes. Mowing frequently will help avoid this.
- Best For Smaller Yards - Using a reel mower can take a little more time than a power mower. Most experts advise using a reel mower if your lawn area is less than 4000 square feet.
- Tougher To Get A Manicured Look - Depending on the height of your grass, you may need to make multiple passes or increase the overlap of each pass in order to get that "manicured" look to your lawn.
What is your favorite feature of reel mowers?
Reel Mower Accessories
Sharpening kits and other accessories for your new reel mower.
Reel Mower Manufacturers
What do you think of reel mowers? What convinced you to buy (or not buy) a reel mower? Please leave a comment below.