- Home Decorating
Route 66 Decorating Ideas
Route 66 Is a Fun Theme for Any Room
If you're a fan of Route 66 memorabilia, you will love decorating with this theme. It's a great choice for any room that you want to have a fun and exciting atmosphere. It's perfect for a family room, den, or for hubby's "man cave".
On this page, I'll show you how my daughter decorated her living room using Route 66 as the theme. She wanted to create a relaxing and fun place for her husband to spend his time in the evenings after work. He is a truck driver and loves big rigs, old cars and trucks. They don't have a den, so she decorated the living room just for him.
Ideas for Decorating
Below are a few basic ideas my daughter used when decorating her Route 66 living room. These will get you started.
- Paint: If you need to paint, I suggest a tan color to represent the adobe houses found in the Rt 66 area. Vicky chose Toasted Almond (by BEHR), which is a sandy color, for her paint. She used Candlelight Ivory (by BEHR) for the woodwork, window facings and door, because she had used this color in other area of her house.
- Furniture: Vicky chose a red leather sofa and love-seat set. The arms are shaped in the smooth style that reminds you of an old time car seat. She added a black recliner in somewhat the same style for her husband. I think it was perfect for the theme of this room. If you need to buy furniture, keep in mind the type of atmosphere you want to create.
- Floor: Vicky added an area rug in a sandy color Berber to accent her dark hardwood floors. This added warmth and coziness to the room, and was in keeping with the theme.
- Accents: You'll need accessories to use as accents. Vicky found and used it to cover a throw pillow as an added accent. She has a small, electric wood stove in the corner to make the room cozy on chilly nights. She also added several framed photos of her hubby and his truck taken at local truck parades that are held each year. (These are not shown in the photo, since she had not put them up at that time.) And, her shadow box coffee table is the main focus. fabric with the Route 66 design
Plan one thing as the main focus of your room and add accessories as accents.
Use any or all of these items for decorating:
- Route 66 Road Signs
- Tin Signs
- Neon Signs
- Throw Pillows covered with Route 66 fabric
- Die Cast antique cars and trucks (new or used)
- Road Maps of Route 66
- Old License Plates
- Old Luggage with travel stickers
- Shadow-Box Table
- Curio Cabinet
If you need more ideas, I suggest looking on Pinterest. They have tons of cool ideas.
The Main Focus Is This Shadow Box Table
Use a Unique Display of Route 66 Memorabilia
My daughter loves to decorate her house and she comes up with very unique things to make her home more interesting. One of my favorites is the shadow box coffee table that she added to her living room. Her table has four sections for adding memorabilia or whatever she wants to display.
To carry out the theme of her living room, she used two Route 66 tin signs, a couple of old license plates, and several collectible trucks for the display in her table. She used a road map for the background for the items she placed in her shadow box. You could use a solid color paper for a liner or a cloth. Just add collectibles or other items you choose, and you will have a unique display
She loved this large coffee table because her family often eats in the living room and since she didn't have a lot of space to display anything, the table took care of both.
There are close-up photos below of how each section was decorated.
What Is a Shadow Box Coffee Table?
The top of a shadow box table is glass over the top of drawers that you can pull out to add items you want to display (that fits, of course). The drawers sometimes have sections that you can move or remove as you like to separate your items. A shadow box table is sometimes called a curio or display table.
It makes an interesting display for any room and is certainly a conversation starter. This type of table is great for rooms that don't have space for a curio cabinet or shelves, as it doubles as a table.
Shadow Box tables are rather unique and hard to find, especially in the large coffee table size. They are more commonly found in the side table size. I have seen that some people make their own shadow box table, even out of an old window frame.
Using this unique table is one simple thing that can turn your room from dull and boring into interesting and exciting.
Throw Pillow Accent
A Route 66 Living Room
Route 66 Road Signs
I love tin signs. They can make fun decorations for any room in your home. You can hang them as they are or in a frame. You could make a wall display of different tin signs. And, of course, they look great displayed in a shadow box table.
There are many different styles of Route 66 signs, but the most popular and my favorite is the historic road sign.
Where can you buy road signs?
You can usually find a variety of old tin signs, including street or road signs, gas and oil signs, plus almost any kind you want, at local consignment shops, flea markets, and yard sales. You can also purchase them new. I've found a large selection on AllPosters.com and on Amazon.
Route 66 Dining Room
Give your dining room that Route 66 Diner look.
Take a Trip, On Route 66
You can get lots of cool ideas from these Route 66 Diner videos!
The decorating ideas shown in the videos below are from a Route 66 themed diner. However, their use of tin signs and other decor will give you ideas that can be used in your home as well. At one time, this diner was a garage and it has used that theme in it's decor as well.
The first video is mostly of the outside, and the second video is mostly of the inside. Both are short, but very interesting, if you love Route 66.
- Video 1 - Outside Diner
- Video 2 - Inside Diner
1. Route 66 Diner (Outside)
2. Route 66 Diner (Inside)
Where to Get Route 66 Decorations
Route 66 is a popular theme, but yet, items are a little hard to find in some areas. My suggestions would be:
- Yard sales
- Flea Markets
- Consignment Shops
- Antique Stores
How About You?
Have you ever traveled on Route 66?
In this article, I've shown how you can easily decorate a Route 66 themed room by considering your choice of paint, furniture, and accessories for accents. Include tin signs and memorabilia displays for a unique room. I hope these ideas have been useful to you. I'll leave you with Chuck Berry singing Route 66 in the video below:
I Know You'll Love This Video: Chuck Berry Route 66
© 2014 Faye Rutledge