solid wood exterior doors protection from warp and twist
solid wood exterior doors
Mostly we prefer solid wood door for exterior or entrance. Choosing solid wood door is always good for exterior or entrance doors. Some of the factors in solid wood doors to be considered before buying or fixing. As we know wood is a natural , renewable material, which should be handled in such a way , to avoid any type of deformation. Moisture is the main thing , which go on varying in solid wood doors. Protecting the door from moisture and extreme atmospheric conditions is a must , to avoid any deformation.
10 things not to forget when buying and fixing the solid wood doors
1. Always opt for a branded solid wood doors. Make sure they use kiln seasoned wood. And follow the National standards of particular country to get more specific information.
2. If the construction is going on, ask the supplier to deliver the door with shrink wrap. This will avoid wood absorbing more moisture from the humid construction area.
3. Decide the door frame which you are going to use, whether it is of wooden or metal. Consult the door supplier or manufacturer to get the right tips for fixing the solid door in wooden frame or solid doors in metal frames.
4. Doors should be stacked one upon the other in a horizontal position, providing some wooden reapers of same thickness. This will ensure your door flatness.Never keep the door in vertical or standing position.
5. Make sure you painted all the six sides of doors before fixing , to avoid moisture absorption and making the wood to twist or warp.
6. All the door hard wares should be fixed at once when the door is made fixed in door frame.
7. Don't forget the tower-bolt at bottom corner of the door , if the wooden door is facing the sun half way.
8. Always use oil based under coat , to avoid any deformation in the solid wood doors.
9. Make sure you don't hang the door without locking for number of days , where the construction is going on. This may leads to door to twist or bend.
10. Any door is subject to test based on misuses. Read the National standards for solid wood door or specification to avoid any kind of problems in future.