The Use of Crystals in Feng Shui
The Use of Crystals in Feng Shui
How are crystals used in feng shui? Why are they special? Do they possess a power?
Crystals are used in different cultures in many different ways, from healing to decoration. In feng shui practitioners most commonly use crystals as a quick and easy way to redirect chi and disperse this energy in a new direction.
Have you ever seen a clear prism reflect light? It redirects the light in new directions and casts rainbows in the room. Crystals are basically prisms, and they redirect chi the same way those prisms refract light.
Various types of crystals have symbolic meaning, too, and both absorb and release energy. Therefore they are used to cleanse negative energy and attract positive energy.
Types of Feng Shui Crystals
Many feng shui crystals are round prisms. Usually made of crystal glass or a glass-like material, these are easily hung with a red string or fishing line in corners, hallways, windows, or wherever else needed.
Geodes are rock cavities with crystals or concentric banding inside and may be made of clear quartz, amethyst quartz, agate, chalcedony, jasper, calcite, dolomite, or others. Some are hollow in the center and others are solid crystal.
Rather than hung, geodes are set on desks, table, or other furniture to protect and cleanse the home's energy.
Quartz can also grow as a single crystal. These may be raw or polished, naturally shaped or fashioned into a pyramid, wand, zodiac animal, or sometimes a tree. Like geodes, these crystals are set around the home to cleanse the home's energy and draw new energy.
Polished gems are very versatile. They are usually small pieces of sanded and polished stone used for placing in a bowl, standing alone, fashioned into a gem tree, as shown, or used in a multitude of other ways. They may be many types of stone but are commonly various types of quartz.
In feng shui
practitioners use crystals as a quick and easy way to redirect chi and
disperse this energy in a new direction.
Rose Quartz Rose quartz is the love stone said to smooth emotions, ease feelings of anxiety, enhance current or potential love, and bring peace.
Amethyst Quartz is said to calm and concentrate the mind and release stress; it's used to reduce anger and quarrels and create harmony.
Aventurine Quartz energizes chi around businesses and new endeavors.
Citrine Quartz stands for wealth and prosperity, it is used to attract positive cash flow and financial endeavors.
Carnelian is said to enhance intelligence and creativity.
White Quartz, or clear quartz, is used to attract genuine, truthful, and pure love and relationships. White and transparency represent purity.
Specific Uses for Crystals in Feng Shui
- Hang a crystal in narrow hallways to help move chi through the home.
- If your main door opens straight to a staircase hang a crystal in the stairwell to slow the chi from rushing up or down the stairs by dispersing it throughout the main floor.
- If you want to enhance your wealth, fame, relationships, creativity, mentorship, wisdom, family foundation, or health then hang a crystal in the corresponding area of the home or room (use a bagua) to activate its chi.
- To enliven a stagnant room, hang a crystal in the window to catch and disperse light into the room.
- If too much harsh light comes in your window, hand a crystal in the window to change some of that harsh yang light to colorful yin light.
- To deflect the char (negative) chi of sharp and protruding corners place a crystal in front of the sharp edge.
- Place a crystal cluster or an artificial crystal paperweight in the Relationships/Southwest area of your desk to energize Earth chi.
- Hang a crystal chandelier in the Relationships/Southwest are of a room or home to activate the chi that attracts positive relationships and love.
- Hang a crystal chandelier in the center of a home the direct chi in all areas of the home and provide extremely good family and health luck.
- Place a natural quartz in the Knowledge/Northeast corner of a student's room or desk to activate the earth element that produces positive wisdom and knowledge chi.
Check out How to Use Crystals
for the Home for more crystal symbolism and uses.
Where to Buy Feng Shui Crystals
If you want to buy feng shui crystals, where do you go?
For brick-and-mortar shopping try:
- Your nearest feng shui shop
- Local Orient stores such as Earthbound Trading Co.
- You local Science Center (many of which have geology exhibits and sell related items in their gift shops)
- Chinese and Japanese cultural events
For online shopping try:
Buy Hanging Crystals
Buy Crystal Geodes
Buy Polished Crystals
What Do YOU think of Feng Shui Crystals?
Do you use feng shui crystals in your home?
Feng Shui Resources
- Feng Shui for Modern Living Magazine
The online home of Great Britain's Feng Shui for Modern Living Magazine
Your place to find feng shui products for beginners and experts to enhance your environment and your life! Product include hanging crystals, crystal flowers, quartz gem trees, money trees, and more.
- Introduction to Feng Shui Online Seminar
Introduction to Feng Shui free online seminar by the American Feng Shui Institute