How to Find the Best Used Lawn Mowers
The Best Mower For You
I have learned over the years that push mowers are very tiring and take a lot of time if you are mowing a big yard. A few years back I had to mow a yard that was less than an acre and I did one little strip up and down and I was beat. However a later in my lifetime I was able to ride a riding lawn mower and I thought it was one of the best inventions ever. All I had to do was move the steering wheel and make sure I did not run into anything and I was done mowing the lawn. If you buy a riding lawn mower you won't ever want to go back to a push mover again and believe me when I say that.
Riding lawn mowers have a lot more things that you will love about them than a push mower does. One is a riding lawn mower can cut more grass in less time because is has a wider deck that a push mower and they go a lot faster (unless when you mow the lawn with a push mower you run at about 10 MPH while doing it, then maybe you would get the yard done about the same time as a riding mower). Another is a riding lawn mower can bag and cut the grass at the same time so you don't have to go back and collect the cut grass by hand, and just think you can do that while sitting in a comfortable chair drinking some nice cool ice tea. One more is do you remember all of the back pain that you had after you got done mowing the lawn with a push mower? Well with a riding lawn mower you will not have to worry about that any more!
So when you are looking for a used riding lawn mower for sale you will need to know what style you want, color, size, and your budget, everything that you would need to know when buying a new one. I know that research can be long and difficult and takes up a lot of your time; and that is just why I made this article so you wouldn't have to do any researching at all.
In this article I have the main lawn mower styles that you can choose from and what size deck you should get depending on your yard size. You will also find some questions that you should ask the owner about the lawn mower before you go see it. Then I have a checklist of things that you will need to ask or look at when you go and see the riding lawn mower. Next I have some lawn mowers that are for sale that are broken up by their style that you can look at and hopefully find one that you like. Lastly there is a video that can be very helpful over time about how replace the blades on your riding mower, which you probably have to sometime in your life. So now its time to find the best used riding lawn mower for sale that you love and is within your budget.
What Kind of Riding Lawn Mower Should You Get?
Deck size? Style?
Depending on how big your yard is and how many obstacles are in your yard will depend on what style and deck size you will need. There are three types of riding lawn mowers and all three are great at a different job. I have always used and loves the zero turn lawn mower because I mower at least 7 acres of land at a time and there are a lot of trees and bushes in the way.
Standard Riding Lawn Mowers are great if you have a normal yard with not many trees or bushes. Theses mowers can tow light things like baggers, carts that are specially designed for seeding, and other light weight objects. They can turn on a 15 to 30 degree turning radius so if you were to mow around a tree you would not have a very even cut. A standard riding mower does not go very fast with a range of 5 to 8 Mph so speed is not what it is made for. It also has a single cylinder with a range of 15 to 30 HP. These are the least expensive type of mowers because they are just basic, no cool steering, and can not hull heavy equipment. So I would recommend this style if you have a low budget and a yard with not too many trees.
Zero-turn Riding Lawn Mowers are amazing if you have a large yard with trees, sheds, bushes and other obstacles. A zero-turn riding lawn mower goes a lot faster than a standard lawn mower so you can do your work in an even quicker time. Zero-turn lawn mowers turn with a zero degree turning radius, which is why they are the best lawn mower for yards with lots of obstacles. It also has a twin cylinder engine that can go from 15 to 20 Horse Power. This one is my favorite mower because you can get very close to trees and bushes and have a nice level cut. These are typically more expensive but are worth every penny.
Garden Tractors are used if you have a larger yard and lost of heavy duty work. It works just about the same, as would a standard riding lawn mower, just this one you can haul a lot heavier objects. You can haul around very heavy things like a big tree branch, a plow, gardening equipment and many other things too. These mowers can go up 26 HP. One of these tractors would not cost you that much money for what they can all do. You could get one of these for a couple thousand dollars but with that money you could mow, plow, move tree branches and lost of other heavy-duty things you could not with other mowers.
So now that you know the three styles of lawn mowers see which one is the one that suits your yard and price range.
What Size Deck You Need
To determine what kind of lawn mower you will buy you will also need to figure out what deck size you want depending on your yard size. I live on a 13-acre land and about 5 acres of it is grass so I have a lot a grass to mow, the mower that I have has a 52-inch deck and I can get the job done in no time.
Deck Size - Lawn Size
42 inches - 1 to 1 1/2 acres of land
46 inches - 1 to 2 acres of land
50 inches - 2 and up acres of land
56 inches - 2 and up acres of land
What You Need to Look for When Buying Used Riding Lawn Mowers
Buying a used lawn mower can be fun if you do it the right way. We have all had a time in our life when we were so excited to buy something that you just buy the first one you see and most of the time it turns out to be a disaster. Lets not have time turn out to be a disaster but lets make it fun by doing it the right way. So to help in finding the best used riding lawn mower for sale the right way, I have below a few guidelines that you should follow.
Ask These Questions to The Owner Before You go See it
1. You will need to ask the owner how often they used their lawn mower. So have a better understanding of how much use it has been in.
2. Ask the owner why exact year they bought the lawn mower.
3. Ask the owner the reason why they are selling their lawn mower, maybe there is something wrong with it that he/she did not say in the listing. I have learned over the years that this is a very important question to ask.
4. Another question you should ask is if they bought the lawn mower used or brand new. So then you will know if it has been used more than the owner says it has.
Things You Should Do When Going to Look at the Mower
- When you go and look at the lawn mower ask for the all of the repair receipts since they bought the mower, so you know how long ago something was updated and other important things.
1. One thing very important to look at is the wires, if there are a lot that have tape on them or are in two pieces that should send up a red flag unless you will fix them.
2. You should always check the oil, if low ask the owner if he/she had many leaks or any other problems with the oil.
3. Check the lights, if they are very dim they should be cleaned or replaced. You should also make sure they go on and off like they should.
4. Make sure you see how the throttle is. If it is loose you might need to get it fixed.
1. Check to see if the tires have any holes or nails in them? Even though it is a lawn mower that mows grass does not mean there will not be any hole in the tires.
2.Make sure the tread on the lawn mower tires is not worn down but is fairly new.
3. Look at the rim for any dents or large scratches.
1. Make sure the mower is clean, there is no serious rust, scratches or dents. Just make sure the owner has taken good care of it.
2. When you see the mower check the key to see if it is bent, if there is damage you might have problems later on.
3. Check the steering wheel. Is it wobbly or too tight it is hard to turn? Is the rubber around the wheel worn-down?
4. One of the most important things you need to check are the blades. Are they in good condition or not? If they are just dull then they can be sharpened with no big deal.
You should always test drive the lawn mower to see how it cuts and operates before buying.
Would you Rather?
Would you Rather use a Riding Mower or a Push Mower?
How to Replace the Blades on Your Riding Lawn Mower
One thing that you will have to do more than once on your lawn mower is replacer the blades. They will get dull over time and will not cut your grass as well. You can either fix them yourself or you can take your mower into a shop and get them replaced. However what ever way you do it you should still watch this video.