Craft Project: How to make a decorative wall plaque for your home
This is a simple, inexpensive project that can really add to the décor in your home. Start by gathering the following supplies:
- One wooden plaque-This can be purchased from a craft store for $1-$15. The $1 plaques are just fine for this project because the wood will be covered up in the end anyway.
- One piece of decorative scrap booking paper-Choose a paper that matches the décor in your home...something that will make you smile when you see it.
- One wooden letter-I chose the first initial of my last name. I have also used wooden crosses. These can be found at most craft stores for very little money. They can also be purchased online at Custom Wooden Letters.
- Craft Paint-Choose a color that matches the paper you are using. Darker colors look best after sanding because the wood shows through nicely.
- Paint brush
- Fine sandpaper
- A Pencil
- Brads (optional)
Follow these easy steps to create your plaque:
- Trace the face of the plaque onto the back of the paper with a pencil.
- Cut out the paper along your traced lines.
- Paint the edges of the plaque, and just around the edge of the face. The entire face does not need to be painted because it will be covered with paper.
- Paint the letter.
- If the cut out paper is a little larger than the face of the plaque, trim it so it fits.
- When the paint on the plaque is dry, glue the paper onto the face of the plaque. Try to get any bubbles out that form underneath the paper. Make the paper as smooth as possible, without any wrinkles.
- When the glue is dry, use sand paper to distress the edges of the plaque so the wood shows through the paint. Gently distress the edge where the paper meets the paint. Make sure to use light strokes so the paper does not tear. Repeat the distressing process on the wood letter.
- When the plaque and letter are distressed to your liking, glue the letter onto the center of the plaque.
- If using decorative brads, cut the prongs off the brads and glue them on the corners of the plaque.
- If you plan on hanging the plaque, attach some wire to the back with a staple gun.
Voila! What a unique and eyecatching decoration to accent your home.