10 Ways To Save $100 This Year
Saving money does not have to be hard. The average person has many ways in which they could cut back and save money. If you are looking to save money this year here are some easy ways in which you can save $100 or more.
- Cut back on soda. A twelve pack here is $4 regular and $3 on sale. By cutting out one 12 pack a week you can save between $156 and $208 this year.
- Make your own pizza. You can get exactly the toppings you want in less time than it takes for delivery for around $5 for two pizzas. Compare that to $20 for two delivery pizzas and you can save $15 each time or $780 a year if you eat pizza weekly. At the least purchase frozen to save $520 this year.
- Use coupons for the things you need - matching them up with sale prices will get you the most savings. If you don't get a Sunday paper you can still find many coupons to print online. I have found that the online coupons are typically for a higher amount than what comes in the paper, so it will give you more of a savings.
- Brew your own coffee. If you like Starbucks then purchase their coffee beans and brew your own at home. If you don't have a grinder, they will gladly grind the beans for you for no extra charge. If a bag of beans costs $10, then after just 6.25 cups of coffee you will be saving all that money you would have spent stopping on your way to work.
- Stop smoking, or at least cut back. If you stop completely you could save $100 a month. I know it is easier said than done, but consider it.
- Cut out the chips. A bag of Lays costs almost $3. If you buy a bag every week you are spending $156 a year on chips. Cut back to one bag a month and you will save over $100.
- Change your own oil. Oil changes are expensive, some places over $30. Do this yourself four times and you will have $100 - after purchasing your own oil and filter.
- Use the library. Libraries today have really changed with the times. Instead of buying that book, magazine or movie borrow it. My library lets me request things from all over the state online and they have a drive through window to pick up items. I don't even have to get out of my car! It doesn't get much easier than that and it is free.
- Hang your laundry up to dry instead of using your dryer. You will save about $.75 a load. If you hang up three loads a week you will save $117 on your energy bill.
- Rent movies or better yet borrow them. The cost for two people to go to the movies is staggering. Tickets alone will push $20 and the snacks and drinks are outrageous. Rent a movie for $5 and pop some popcorn at home. Borrowing a movie from the library will increase your savings.
Those are easy ways to save money right? For those who have small children here are a couple of more ways you can save money. Using cloth diapers will save you hundreds of dollars a year, after you purchase them even. Cutting your kids hair at home will save well over $100 a year. I cut all four of my kid's hair - at $10 a head at the cheapest place around that really adds up. Especially the boys whose hair grows incredibly fast. Investing in good clippers is a smart move if you like your boys to have crew cuts.
If you are looking for ways to save money this year (who doesn't right?) try some of these simple things. The little things are usually painless and the savings really add up.