A Long HOT Summer ~ Grilling Recipes and More
Summer is that time of year when everything seems to slow down. Way down. A chance to reflect on everything you've been through in the past year and where you'd like to be heading. A time to unwind and reminesce, catch up on books you've been meaning to read and an opportunity to come together with friends that you haven't seen in awhile. But, to me the best part of summer has always been the chance to get back to nature. The beaches in and around Sarasota, Florida are some of the most unspoiled and beautiful in the world. To be able to wake up really early to catch the sunrise or grab some sandwiches and head for a glimpse of the sunset is priceless. Literally priceless. One of the few luxuries during the year where price is not an issue. Even though gas is ridiculous, it's still a bargain to catch a wave and be able to spend a whole day of breezy escapism.
Another important gift the summer brings us are those mouth-watering barbecues that somehow make grilling seem like a necessity. Here are some of my favorite barbecue recipes that definitely require sharing.
The best barbecue sauce ever
2 tablespoons chopped onion
2 tablespoons of melted butter
1 tablespoon green bell pepper chopped
1 cup water
1 cup ketchup
2 teaspoons mustard powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon celery seed
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon parsley (fresh and chopped finely)
- In a medium bowl, ceramic if possible, mix the butter, onion, green bell pepper, water, ketchup, mustard powder, salt, celery seed, parsley, brown sugar and lemon juice. Make sure to mix well and then add to a huge ziplock full of desired meat and allow to marinate for about 20 minutes.
- Proceed to gril until desired doneness and enjoy.
Marinated Barbecue Vegetables
1 small eggplant cut into 3/4 inch slices
2 small red peppers, seeded and cut into wide strips
3 zucchinis sliced
1 bunch of asparagus
6 fresh mushrooms (stems removed)
1/2 cup virgin olive oil
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
1. Place all vegetables in a medium sized bowl.
2. In a different medium bowl, add olive oil, lemon juice, basil, garlic and salt. Mix well.
3. Combine marinade and vegetables in a large seal-tight ziplock bag or covered in the mixing bowl. Allow to marinade in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. More time, more delectable veggies.
4. When you're ready to grill, place marinated vegetables onto a high-flamed grill and cook either on a skewer or directly by placing onto gril. Each side should be cooked for about 3 minutes or until desired wellness. Baste ofen while grilling.
Don Henley ~ Boys of Summer
Bryan Adams ~ Summer of '69
Seals & Crofts ~ Summer Breeze (LIVE)
Hot Fun in the Summertime ~ Sly & the Family Stone
Boys of Summer ~ Don Henley
Summer Lovin' ~ Grease
Summer ~ War
Summer Wine ~ The Coors with Bono
Summer in the City ~ Lovin' Spoonful
Summer Breeze ~ Seals & Crofts
Summer of '69 ~ Bryan Adams
Summer's Almost Gone ~ The Doors
Summer Girls ~ LFO
Summertime Blues ~ Alan Jackson
Summer Love ~ Justin Timberlake
Summer Wind ~ Michael Bauble
Summer Time ~ Will Smith
School's Out for Summer ~ Alice Cooper
Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
A perfect summer day is when the sun is shining, the breeze is blowing, the birds are singing, and the lawn mower is broken. ~James Dent
If a June night could talk, it would probably boast it invented romance. ~Bern Williams
Deep summer is when laziness finds respectability. ~Sam Keen
A life without love is like a year without summer. ~Swedish Proverb
Summer afternoon - summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language. ~Henry James
Ingredients: Serves 4
1/4 Cup pineapple juice
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
4 (6 oz.) salmon fillets
2 tablespoons brown sugar
4 teaspoons chili powder
3/4 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinammon
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl.
2. Marinate salmon pieces by brushing both sides, and allowing to marinated on a thin pan and refrigerated for at least 30 minutes.
3. When ready to grill place directly onto medium flamed grill and cook both sides for about 5-7 minutes or until desired wellness.