Choosing the Correct Dog Bed for Your Large Dog
Tips for Selecting the Perfect Dog Bed
Does your larger dog need a good dog bed? Larger dogs have special needs when selecting a dog bed that will perfect for their comfort and support.
In today's market there are lots of designer dog beds - however, designer dog beds are not always the best choice. What are the things we should look for in a dog bed for our larger Buddies?
- Size. It is important to select a bed the will support their hips and shoulders no matter the position in which they are sleeping or resting. The dog bed you are selecting needs to be of a size that is comfortable.
- Comfort. It is important to find a bed that offers a larger dog comfort. If you are shopping online . .and cannot actually touch the dog bed - read the reviews about the bed and what other customers have had to say about the dog bed.
- Joints. Larger dogs often have issues with joints, arthritis, and sore hips. Large dogs also often suffer from bone weaknesses as they grow older. A good quality bed that offers support, as well as comfort, is a necessity. Memory foam is the perfect material for the dog bed you are considering for your larger dog.
- Age and Health of your Dog. If your larger dog is an older dog - consider an orthopedic dog bed. Lots of dog beds call themselves "orthopedic" but they are not. Memory foam is the ONLY material known to man that completely eliminates painful pressure points. If your orthopedic dog bed is not made from memory foam - it is not orthopedic.
- Washability. Large dogs need lots of exercise! Which means your bigger dog is probably outside walking, rolling in the dirt, romping through the grass, and into all sorts of dirty things. Since you will want to keep their dog bed clean - make sure the covers are washable. Also it is nice to have extra long zippers which makes getting the covers on and off for washing so much easier.
Keeping these items in mind when selecting a dog bed for your larger dog will make them happy and comfortable -- and when they are comfy and happy. . .we are happy!
Debbie Holte is a frequent contributor of articles on our dog's health and happiness for http://www.buddybeds.com/ whose company's mission is to improve the quality of life for our animals.
Remember there are three things to look for in any company you purchase a dog bed - high quality products, products that will last and stand the test of time, and superior customer service.
Helpful Links on Dog Health
- Wikipedia - Hip Dysplasia in Dogs
Hip dysplasia is a disease that, in its more severe form, can eventually cause crippling lameness and painful arthritis of the joints. It is caused by a combination of genetic and environmental factors.
- Buddy Beds - Vet Recommended Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Beds
Orthopedic dog beds perfect for dogs with arthritis, hip dysplasia, joint issues or old age. Memory foam eliminates all painful pressure points. Buddy Beds has the coveted Animal Wellness Seal of Approval. Featured on Martha Stewart Show (twice!)
- ASPCA - Information on Canine Arthritis
What is canine arthritis? Osteoarthritis, or degenerative joint disease (DJD), is a progressive, debilitating disorder characterized by a loss of cartilage and the death of cartilage-producing cells. DJD can occur in any joint . . . read more
- Great Dog Site
Quality information for over 350 types of Dogs. Check out our information on Dogs. Browse our dogs information with great dog site. Guide to Breed Selection ...
- All About Dogs
All about dogs -- Your resource for dog health, training, breeds and adoption. Find out if you are ready to get a dog, learn tips for proper dog care, ...