Get A LIfe, A Second Life
Virtual Reality World Your's to Explore
What in the world is Second Life? Well check it out. It is right on the net.
Second Life is a 3-D virtual world entirely built and owned by its residents. Since opening to the public in 2003, it has grown explosively and today is inhabited by a total of 6,617,805 people from around the globe.
- From the moment you enter the World you'll discover a vast digital continent, teeming with people, entertainment, experiences and opportunity. Once you've explored a bit, perhaps you'll find a perfect parcel of land to build your house or business.
- You'll also be surrounded by the creations of your fellow residents. Because residents retain the rights to their digital creations, they can buy, sell and trade with other residents.
- The marketplace currently supports millions of US dollars in monthly transactions. This commerce is handled with the in-world unit-of-trade, the Linden dollar, which can be converted to US dollars at several thriving online Linden Dollar exchanges.
Create an Avatar (your virtual self)
Second Life is about personal expression and your avatar is the most personal expression of all. After all, an avatar is your persona in the virtual world. Despite offering almost infinite possibilities, the tool to personalize your avatar is very simple to use and allows you to change anything you like, from the tip of your nose to the tint of your skin. Don't worry if it's not perfect at first, you can change your look at any time.
When a place is as big as Second Life and has so many things to do, the first question people ask is, "Where do I start?".
We recommend three tools to help you start exploring. As an example, let's pretend you're looking for a good place to party and meet people.
- The Map. Imagine you want to find people socializing. View upcoming events' information on the web map by clicking the the green dots being shown.
- The Search Menu. Now you'd like to learn more about a particular event you saw on the web map. Search for it, and read its description. It sounds great, and you teleport there.
- Other People. Once you arrive, right-click on anybody's avatar and choose "View Profile" to learn about them.
Within your first hour, you'll notice that several residents approach you and introduce themselves - Second Lifers are eager to welcome you and show you around.
Within this vibrant society of people, it's easy to find people with similar interests to you. Once you meet people you like, you find it's easy to communicate and stay in touch.
At any time there are dozens of events where you can party at nightclubs, attend fashion shows and art openings or just play games.
Residents also form groups ranging from neighborhood associations to fans of Sci Fi Movies.
In Second Life, there's something new around every corner.
The world is filled with hundreds of games, from multi-player RPG's to puzzles and grid-wide contests. There are also casinos, dance clubs, shopping malls, space stations, vampire castles and movie theatres.
To find something to do at any time of the day or night, simply open the Search menu and click on Events. You'll see a listing of Discussions, Sports, Commercial, Entertainment, Games, Pagaents, Education, Arts and Culture and Charity/Support Groups.
Regardless of your mood, there's always something to do...
Live and Solo Tutorials Available In-world Daily
- Basic to Expert instruction on scripting offered for free by veteran Residents and Linden Lab staff. 3D, step-by-step tutorials are always available throughout the world.
Make real money in a virtual world. That's right, real money.
Here's how it works:
- Second Life has a fully-integrated economy architected to reward risk, innovation, and craftsmanship.
- Residents create their own virtual goods and services. Because residents retain the IP rights of their creations, they are able to sell them at various in-world venues.
- Businesses succeed by the ingenuity, artistic ability, entrepreneurial acumen, and good reputation of their owners.
- Residents who have amassed lots of Linden Dollars are matched with residents who want to buy Linden Dollars at LindeX (our official Linden Dollar exchange), or at other unaffiliated third-party exchanges.
- Second Life's real estate market provides opportunities for Residents to establish their own communities and business locations.
There are as many opportunities for innovation and profit in Second Life as in the Real World. Open a nightclub, sell jewelry, become a land speculator; the choice is yours to make. Thousands of residents are making part or all of their real life income from their Second Life Businesses.
By way of example, here are just a few in-world business occupations which Residents founded and currently run, and make part or all of their real life living from. Try searching for these categories via the in-world Find menu:
- party and wedding planner
- pet manufacturer
- casino operator
- nightclub owner
- automotive manufacturer
- fashion designer
- aerospace engineer
- custom avatar designer
- jewelry maker
- XML coder
- freelance scripter
- game developer
- fine artist
- machinima set designer
- tour guide
- custom animation creator
- lottery operator
- theme park developer
- real estate speculator
- vacation resort owner
- private detective
- special effects designer
- hug maker
Your first Basic account is FREE, and includes access to events, shopping, building, scripting- everything you can do in Second Life. After your first free Basic Account, each Additional Basic Account (known in-world as an "alt" account) costs a one-time fee of $9.95.
A Premium Second Life account, starting at $9.95 a month, allows you to own land on which you can build, display, entertain and live.
NOTE: In Second LIfe there are a number of churches of various denominations that have actual services. And it should be also noted that your selected last name is not your real last name. This is a picturesque virtual depiction of the Internet to the extent that the net participants become members, and as stated above the numbers of members now are 6,617,805 and of course are up from that by the time you read this.