Heaven-fact or fantasy
HEAVEN-Fact or Fantasy
I. PHYSICAL LOCATION
- A. WE DON'T REALLY KNOW HEAVEN'S LOCATION
- B. NORMALLY WE THINK OF HEAVEN AS ‘UP' ... BUT UP WHERE?
- A. NOT GIVEN IN DETAIL ... ALTHOUGH JOHN IN THE WRITING OF REVELATION GIVES SOME DESCRIPTION.
1. THERE ARE STREETS OF GOLD
2. PERLY GATES
- 3. CHRYSTAL
- 4. OTHER VALUABLE JEWELS
- 5. WATER
- 6. OTHER ITEMS
- B. CHRIST STATED IN THE GOSPEL OF MATTHEW THAT HE IS GOING TO PREPARE A PLACE FOR US.
III. IS HEAVEN REAL OR IS IT JUST AN IMAGINARY PLACE?
- A. We really don't know, EXCEPT BY FAITH.
- B. Theologians who are conservative in their beliefs have different opinions about this. Here is what I find to be consistent in all writers:
- 1. The people John was writing to knew what he was writing about.
- 2. HEAVEN IS UNDERSTOOD AS A GREAT PLACE ... UNDERSTANDABLE TO PEOPLE THAT WERE READERS OF THE LETTER OF REVELATION?
IV. WHO WILL BE THERE? This is what really matters
- A. GOD THE FATHER
- B. CHRIST
- C. ANGELS
- 1. Angels that sing
- 2. Angel armies
E. PEOPLE WHO'S NAMES ARE WRITTEN IN THE BOOK OF LIFE
1. Not just Christians ... but people like Moses, Abraham, Elijah and others who were before Christ.
- 2. "Christian" is a New Testament name first used in Antioch in the book of Acts.
While a person can talk and write about heaven and all the theology that goes with it ... what is important is who will be there. Location, characteristics, and symbols, are nice items for discussion, but the important fact is, I will be there!