Working at backpacker hostels (sometimes called "youth hostels", though they are generally for all ages) is a great way to work while traveling.
Generally, working at a hostel is a work-exchange position, though some hostel do pay a wage also. Working as a hostel manager can actually pay a good salary: $40,000 to $90,000 (USD) per year is possible at larger hostels.
How to Get a Hostel Job
Here are some steps to finding a hostel job:
- Decide on the location where you would like to work
- Search Google for hostels in that city
- Find for hostels' own websites
- Send e-mail to the hostels inquiring about employment opportunities
- If you don't have previous experience, it may be more difficult to find jobs remotely. In that case, you may want to find a hostel to work at a nearby city for a few months in order to gain experience and a good letter of recommendation.
Remember to do a good job at to use the opportunity to learn as much about the industry as possible. If you can build a reputation as a good employee, working at hostels can open up many fantastic opportunities for traveling around the world.