LET US MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE
Many of us think of ways to save money for our future and that of our children. We think of all possible solutions like tax saving investments, life insurance, provident fund, etc, to ensure a better future for our children and family. We try hard and save money for them. One thought that escapes us, and that is the topic of this discussion, is the fate of the very world they would live in.
How good is money to them if they can't inhale fresh air or live in clean surroundings free from communal strife?
Mankind is doing everything possible to spoil planet earth. Global warming, pollution, mass deaths due to natural calamities, inflation, corruption, terrorism, ozone layer depletion, toxic dumps - the list is never ending. We do hear people around us shouting slogans like "Save Green Earth" and "Help Tsunami Victims". Some of us support them either financially or morally. Our talks during teatime breaks are filled with discussions on similar issues. However, the fact is that we are hardly doing anything to safeguard our planet and ourselves.
Awareness of happenings around us and the world we live in is the key to being active toward such issues. A better society constitutes a better world. The concept in this context is that of care.
Mother Earth, getting older and fragile day by day, has given us all we ever wanted. It is time for us to give her the care she needs right now. It's now or never. Respect her. Next time think twice before throwing that plastic garbage on to her face. Stop yourself from injecting more CO2 into her lungs. Stop the killing of her pets (birds and animals - our fellow beings on this planet). Change your lifestyle. Do whatever you can to save the world.
Here are a few tips that can help save our planet and the environment:
- 1. Use your own bags for shopping. Reuse old plastic bags from your house. Alternatively, use cloth bags.
- 2. Share vehicles. Take public vehicles when and where possible. For longer distances, try to travel on trains rather than flights. Aeroplanes pollute more than any other artificial vehicle.
- 3. Cut down the use of paper. Maintain a paperless desk at the office. Avoid taking too many printouts just because you are not used to reading it from the monitor.
- 4. Use anti-CFC deodorants and perfumes.
- 5. Don't waste water. Repair all dripping taps and leaking pipelines around you.
- 6. Manage electricity usage properly. Switch off lights, fans, TV when not in use. Whenever possible, take the stairs instead of using elevators. You also get that much needed exercise.
- 7. Discourage land encroachments in forested and agricultural areas. Plants and animals need their habitat more than anyone else does. It's easier said than done but try to live as a joint family. Share the same roof with your parents even after you are married and have kids. There is nothing wrong in it.
- 8. Waste management is one area where everyone is poor. Sort your household garbage into recyclable and non-recyclable content and dispose them accordingly. Dispose of batteries and other alkali-based products safely and properly.
- 9. Don't buy leather products. Don't buy any product, which you suspect to be from the poaching industry.
- 10. Plant trees wherever possible. If you are planning to buy land to build a house, plan and allocate some space for a little garden with at least one tree. Use artificial wood and plastic furniture in place of posh teak wood furniture. A single chair needs half the trunk of a ripe teak tree.
These are a few suggestions, which can contribute to "Save My Earth" movement. Like the old saying "Charity begins at home", "Saving Earth also begins at home". Look around you and do whatever you can to save the planet from extinction. So, next time when you feel the gentle rush of pure fresh air touching you, remember to make your contribution toward saving it for your kids!"A happy New Year! Grant that I
May bring no tear to any eye
When this New Year in time shall end
Let it be said I've played the friend,
Have lived and loved and labored here,
And made of it a happy year."
Wishing all my dearest friends at hub a very happy and prospersous new year!