Relieve Cold And Flu Symptoms
Protect Yourself From Colds and the Flu
Let's face it, suffering from a cold or the flu is no fun for anyone. There are some 200 different kinds of viruses that can cause an upper respiratory infection which explains why colds are so common. Below you will find some tips to help you relieve the symptoms of the cold and flu:
- Wash your hands often. Washing your hands with hot soapy water can will help to kill germs and bacteria which can keep you from catching a nasty bug.
- It is important to be aware of the symptoms of a cold. Is there a runny nose, cough, and fever? All of these are signs that your body is trying to fight off a cold virus.
- To relieve a sore throat, such on some hard candy. Or better yet, gargle with warm salt water. These are better methods than most cough drops which can cause an upset stomach when used too often.
- If you need help clearing or loosening up some phlegm, be sure to drink 8-10 glasses of water or other non-alcoholic drinks a day. You may find that warm drinks like hot tea will be more soothing than cold drinks.
- Load up on vitamin C. While there is still some debate on how much C helps with colds, it will not hurt to take and extra 500 - 2,000mg of vitamin C a day.
- Your mother was right, chicken soup does help to alleviate cold symptoms. On top of that, the steam from the hot soup loosens mucus.
Since most people catch at least one cold a year, remembering these simple recommendations can help to make the cold a little more bearable.