The Health Benefits of Owning a Pet
Health Benefits from Pets
Proven Human Health Benefits from Our Animals
Did you know there are proven health benefits to owning a dog or pet?" Studies show there are significant physical, mental and emotional benefits for both pets and pet parents," said Bill Pearce, chief marketing officer for Del Monte Foods. "It is as easy a taking your dog for a walk. Researchers say you'll walk farther with your pet than you would if you were walking alone, an activity that benefits you both."
The human-animal bond encourages people to get active, reduce stress, and live healthier together. There are proven health benefits to owning a pet. Reducing stress, lowering blood pressure, strengthening the immune system, and increasing physical activity are all positive benefits of dog and pet ownership. There are hundreds of stories of how pets have changed people's lives. Owning a dog or pet can make a person fell loved and appreciated. Pets are good role models of how to live each moment to the fullest. Plus, pets are wonderful listeners.
Here are some interesting studies proving the health benefits of owning a dog or pet.
- Heart patients with pets are nearly five times more likely to survive a heart attack than those without pets. (Source: Ontario Veterinary Medical Association).
- Pets can help us humans combat loneliness, depression, and other emotional problems, even something as common as stress. (Source: Generations, vol. XXV, no. 2, Summer 2001: New York Times, July 24, 2001).
- Cholesterol and triglyceride levels are lower in pet owners than non-owners. (Source: Delta Society/Anderson, 1990).
If those are not compelling and convincing reasons to own and love a pet here are some more:
- Owning a dog or pet can make a person feel loved and appreciated.
- Pets are good role models of how to live each moment to the fullest.
- Last but not least, pets are wonderful listeners.
Remember you local shelter has lots of loving animals hoping for an owner just like you!
Debbie Holte is a frequent contributor of articles on our dog's health and happiness for www.buddybeds.com Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Beds --whose company's mission is to improve the quality of life for our beloved animals.
Remember there are three things to look for in any company you purchase a dog bed - high quality products, products that will last and stand the test of time, and superior customer service.
- Power of Paws
Website where people can go and share stories about how their pets have changed their lives. Hundreds of stories have been shared --from therapy cats who visit nursing homes to dogs that assist those with disabilities.
- Orthopedic Dog Beds: Reasons to purchase a Buddy Bed orthopedic memory dog bed
Orthopedic dog beds for dogs with arthritis, hip dysplasia, joint issues, or aches & pains of old age. Memory foam eliminates painful pressure points. Awarded the coveted Animal Wellness Seal of Approval. Featured on the Martha Stewart Show(twice
- Dogs on About.com - All About Dogs and Puppies
All about dogs - Your resource for dog health, training, breeds and adoption. Get information about dogs, find out if you are ready to get a dog, learn tips for proper dog care, research dog breeds and more.
- ASPCA: The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
Visit the ASPCA website to learn how to fight animal cruelty, read expert pet care advice, and view dogs and cats available for adoption.