The Value of Time
Your Most Valuable Asset
If I asked what was your most valuable asset, how would you answer? If I asked if you wanted to be more successful, what would your answer be? Most people answer they want to be more successful but rarely stop to consider their most valuable asset and how to leverage it to acheive the success they desire.
It might be helpful to consider what success means. Most people equate success with wealth. While you certainly need a decent living to be successful, I think a better definition would be the freedom to do what you want, when you want to so long as your actions do not harm others. If you are going to achieve that level of freedom, there is one habit you must develop.
The one thing that separates the highly successful from others is the way the highly successful utilize their time. The highly successful people concentrate their time on high value task. The average person spends way too much time on low value task.
If you want more success in your life, the first thing to do is to recognize that time is your most valuable asset. You get the same amount as everyone else. But what separates the highly successful from the others is the way they use their time. You must learn to use your time wisely. A good question to ask yourself is, "What is the best use of my time right now? Could I be doing something that would contribute more value to my life right now?" If you will develop the habit of asking yourself those questions and change your behavior you will immediately improve your life.
What are high value task? Developing and marketing your buisness. Spending quality time with those that matter most to you. And the highest value time you can spend is on self-education and self-improvement.
You probably know that some of the lowest value task are the mindless hours we waste in front of the TV, reading all those emails that get passed around, surfing the net and all the other things we engage in to escape doing what we should be doing.
Here are some tips on how to get the most important things done.
1. Write down the six most important things you need to do. Having more than six items can overwhelm you.
2. Rank the items in the order of their importance.
3. Work on the most important item first and stay with that until it is finished or you cannot make further progress.
4. Always work on one task at a time. Multi-tasking divides your energy and attention. It is not a smart way to do things.
5. Work on the things you are good at, find ways to delegate the task that you are not good at.
6. Schedule your time. Never let urgent interruptions take over from the important task. You are not required to answer the phone everytime it rings. Learn to schedule your phone time. Also learn to schedule time with co-workers or employees. These small interruptions can rob huge amounts of time. Getting back in the thought process of where you were also takes time.
7. Develop work habits that follow the above steps. Make it a ritual to follow the above steps.
As you make better use of your time, you will find you have more time. And as you concentrate on higher value task, you will find your results improving.