Things you must do when a loved one passes
A Checklist Of Things To Do After The Funeral
- Obtain copies of the death certificate. A copy will be required for a variety of legal and financial forms.
- Send thank you notes for those who sent flowers and donations or showed a special kindness.
- Meet with the deceased's attorney to discuss the necessary legal processes.
- Notify the insurance companies and file all claims.
- Apply for the appropriate social security, veterans benefits and/or pension benefits.
- Notify your accountant or tax preparer.
- Notify the deceased's stockbroker.
- Notify the deceased's bank.
- Notify the Department of Motor Vehicles to transfer titles on all vehicles, mobile homes and boats registered in the deceased's name.